Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

DAK badge

Article about: A picture of the cap badge he mentions on a tropical side cap and another version of the same badge, a vet bring back posted elsewhere. The cap badge was a locally made item and a very small

Default Re: DAK badge

A picture of the cap badge he mentions on a tropical side cap and another version of the same badge, a vet bring back posted elsewhere. The cap badge was a locally made item and a very small number exist and all are different.

Just for academic purposes and for future researchers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK badge   DAK badge  

DAK badge   DAK badge  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAK badge
    P
    Many

I don't like the look of it at all. For me, it doesn't appear to match the style of German awards of the time. I wouldn't pay $10 for it, to be honest.

?

The more I look at it, the less I like the design of the palm and the palm fronds.
    It doesnt resemble the stylized look of the DAK palm at all.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I don't like the look of it at all. For me, it doesn't appear to match the style of German awards of the time. I wouldn't pay $10 for it, to be honest.
    I would, 10 bucks even as a fake/fantasy it would be worth having for that price IMHO, but 10k, no way.

Some more pics of the cloth version and another of the "normal" metal version from Kurtz's Afrikakorps book. And it's not an award, it is a unit badge, though I posted it in this section because it most closely resembles an award in terms of construction etc and I assumed someone could say that the MM and the hardware was obviously wrong for the maker and that would be the end of it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK badge  
    Regards,

Jerry

Doesn't look like the badge was on the cap for a very long time.
    Even if genuine, why would they have made it so dissimilar to the cloth badge?

Tom

Quote by StuG III View Post
    Doesn't look like the badge was on the cap for a very long time.
    Even if genuine, why would they have made it so dissimilar to the cloth badge?

Tom
    No idea mate, but the brass cap version is generally accepted as being genuine and were thought to have been made in the local bazaar.

- - Updated - -

Quote by Scout View Post
    The more I look at it, the less I like the design of the palm and the palm fronds.
    It doesnt resemble the stylized look of the DAK palm at all.
    The Bevo cloth version is a well known period item seen in many photographs and the brass cap version, though less well documented is also accepted as being period.
    Regards,

Jerry

Some pictures showing the cloth version in wear.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK badge   DAK badge  

DAK badge  
    Regards,

Jerry

?

A good discussion!

How big is it Jerry? Do you know?

One other point which maybe worthy of debate.......

Where would the metal badge be worn - if indeed it was?

If worn on the tunic, would it not be against regulations to wear something like this? I know unit badges were worn on the visor cap or sidecap but this looks bigger than a small badge such as these.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Great photo Jerry. Are there any showing the metal badge in wear?

Tom

I don't know Adrian on the size of the thread starter, or where it would have been worn if it was an original. As I posted earlier, it is the only one known to exist, which in itself is a good sign I think, as if it was a fantasy item, why have no others been seen, bearing in mind it has been in the present owners collection since the 1980's and was in Manions collection before that for an unknown length of time.

As I have tried to make clear, my interest is purely academic, as it is an area of interest to me, but if original, it is way beyond my budget. I have emailed the owner and when he responds I'll ask him how big it is.

- - Updated - -

Quote by StuG III View Post
    Great photo Jerry. Are there any showing the metal badge in wear?

Tom
    I think there is one showing the brass version in use, but I have yet to see it, though none exist of the thread starter.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3