Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

DEMJANSK shield

Article about: Hello, what do you think of this shield with a rare marking behind? Thanks a lot! *

Default DEMJANSK shield

Hello, what do you think of this shield with a rare marking behind?
    Thanks a lot!

The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DEMJANSK  shield
    P
    Many

It's a fake known as the 'serif J' and is very common. You'll find it's made of zinc and hence, unmagnetic. All accepted originals are magnetic, being steel based. The name 'serif J fake' comes from the difference in the letter 'J'. Below shows the two types compared side by side, the original being on the left.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DEMJANSK  shield  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thank you Ned !
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

DEMJANSK  shieldDEMJANSK  shieldDEMJANSK  shieldDEMJANSK  shield

These "large" serif J are well known as fakes as Ned has said, here is a standard "moving prop" small serif Demjansk shield. Leon.

Excited ? Why?

Hal
    ?

Quote by big ned View Post
    It's a fake known as the 'serif J' and is very common. You'll find it's made of zinc and hence, unmagnetic. All accepted originals are magnetic, being steel based. The name 'serif J fake' comes from the difference in the letter 'J'. Below shows the two types compared side by side, the original being on the left.

Regards, Ned.
    Hi Ned, I have a non 'serif J' shield that is non magnetic acquired from a veteran many yrs. ago. Best, Hal

Quote by Hal View Post
    Hi Ned, I have a non 'serif J' shield that is non magnetic acquired from a veteran many yrs. ago. Best, Hal
    Hi Hal,

I may have to change my opinion on that! I have just seen a piece from a book by Antonio Scapini that says whilst many collectors don't like the non magnetic shields and say they're fake, it IS known that some of the makers DID use non magnetic material at times. So I owe everyone an apology!

Having said that, the difference in the serif is unequivocable, and the badge shown by Lebus is fake, magnetic or not.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.