Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Demjansk Shield

Article about: Hello, Can I please get your opinions on this shield? Best regards, Vlad

Default Demjansk Shield

Hello,
    Can I please get your opinions on this shield?
    Best regards,
    Vlad

Demjansk ShieldDemjansk ShieldDemjansk ShieldDemjansk Shield

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Demjansk Shield
    P
    Many

Hello Vlad welcome to the forum. I rather like this example it has nice detail and honest age to it. I cannot speak for GIEL'S Militaria but here is an example they had sold as original and it's identical to yours. Best regards.

Brian

Demjansk ShieldDemjansk Shield

Demjansk shield for army troops

Thanks, Brian

For me it is a nice original type 4.5 by unknown maker with the more unusual brass backing plate.

Here is one to compare it with.

Demjansk ShieldDemjansk Shield

Cheers
    Doug

Quote by vlad72227 View Post
    .....Demjansk Shield

VLAD72227......my compliments for having included this side view showing the parting line. It suggests that it was cast, not stamped. Thanks, Doug.

And, of course......WELCOME to the forum.

Thanks

Quote by stakeside View Post
    VLAD72227......my compliments for having included this side view showing the parting line. It suggests that it was cast, not stamped. Thanks, Doug.

And, of course......WELCOME to the forum.
    As far as I know, these should not be cast, they should be stamped.
    Please remember, a stamped award can still have a form of "parting line" as they require a front and reverse die.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    As far as I know, these should not be cast, they should be stamped.
    Please remember, a stamped award can still have a form of "parting line" as they require a front and reverse die.
    Ralph.
    RBMINIS....Whether cast or stamped, both can have a parting line. However, cold forming (stamping) can be done with "open" or "closed" dies. The "open" situation has no parting line.

For example, Ico Cerutti's four station transfer press could cut off a slug of 4 mm wire and make a blind rivet with a 25 mm head and a 30 mm shank with a hole punched through the 4 mm wire. A 250 metric ton blow makes the metal flow, yet there is absolutely no parting line.

I did my usual crude analysis by trying to make a paper print-out of the opening post and enlarging it 200%. Granted that macro photos would help in any decision, just like the recent thread on a blade being Damascus or etched. However, I suggest that the OP has been cast.

Perhaps we can get an opinion from someone like ROSSI who has a background in casting.....Thanks,Doug.

AFTERTHOUGHT......without even researching this DEMJANSK, my gut feeling is that it is analogous to NARVIK.

AFTERTHOUGHT #2....the swords appear to have two different patterns to their grips.

AFTERTHOUGHT #3....stamped TOTENKOPF visor cap abzeichen (skulls) were coined in "closed" dies, an obverse and reverse, and seeing the parting line is very important. Some posts fortunately include just such a photo.
    Last edited by stakeside; 11-07-2017 at 07:08 AM. Reason: NO MORE FRANZISKANER X STAKESIDE