Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Deutsche Kreuz mit Brillanten - Opinions Please

Article about: beautiful.

Default Deutsche Kreuz mit Brillanten - Opinions Please

Hello, thank you in advance for any opinions you have on this piece. Was surfing a well known military site today and was intrigued by this German Cross in Gold with Diamonds. I would like to get some expert opinions on the piece (not that I could afford it). I've uploaded a couple of the images as well as added a link where all the images could be viewed. What strikes me as odd is the crude maker name added to the back pin. I'm no expert, but it would seem that on a high end piece it would be better executed.

Thank you for your assistance. Ron

German Cross in Gold with Diamonds
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsche Kreuz mit Brillanten - Opinions Please   Deutsche Kreuz mit Brillanten - Opinions Please  

Deutsche Kreuz mit Brillanten - Opinions Please   Deutsche Kreuz mit Brillanten - Opinions Please  

Deutsche Kreuz mit Brillanten - Opinions Please  
    Last edited by Adrian; 09-18-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsche Kreuz mit Brillanten - Opinions Please
    P
    Many

?

I can tell you that it is understood that approximately twenty examples of these awards were made by Rath in Munich and they are obviously a very rare and desirable piece.
    I believe one or two of these are on display in the Military Museum at West Point.

It checks out in general but as these are very scarce I cannot comment on authenticity. I have a book open in front of me which shows an original and one thing I do notice is that the trimming outline of the base star differs from that shown above. I have no idea if this is down to hand finishing or not.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi Ron,

Each one of these Rath crosses was hand engraved on the pin, unlike all other normal ones, so each is individual, all slightly different.Also, of the 20 known original ones, there is a variance in the number of diamonds used, being between 92 and 98. There are other subtle differences to be found as well such as quite considerable weight differences between the 20 awards.

In my opinion this is a fine genuine cased Deutsche Kreuz in Gold mit Brillanten.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Have you dared enquire about the price Ron?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I have a book open in front of me which shows an original and one thing I do notice is that the trimming outline of the base star differs from that shown above. I have no idea if this is down to hand finishing or not.
    Hi Adrian,

I have noticed this previously with other photo's on here, and mentioned it recently regarding another DK posted by kevin1947. They become slightly distorted making the rays appear thinner than they really are. It's the same with PAB's, they always appear to be round in shape, when in actual fact they are obviously oval. It must be down to the sizing of the photographs imo.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Adrian,

I have noticed this previously with other photo's on here, and mentioned it recently regarding another DK posted by kevin1947. They become slightly distorted making the rays appear thinner than they really are. It's the same with PAB's, they always appear to be round in shape, when in actual fact they are obviously oval. It must be down to the sizing of the photographs imo.

Regards, Ned.
    I agree Ned. I was looking at the individual notches, peaks and troughs when I mentioned the trimming outline which vary all the way around the star. I put it down to the individual finishing techniques applied to each one as I am sure they were all given individual attention.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Have you dared enquire about the price Ron?
    Hi Adrian,

No, this item is beyond my resources.

I've heard opinions on this dealer both good and bad.

I do appreciate the knowledge and support given by the members of this forum - truly refreshing!

I remember Weitze had one for sale around 3-4 years ago. Can't remember if it was cased though, but do remember the asking price.

€ 70,000.

Quote by big ned View Post
    I remember Weitze had one for sale around 3-4 years ago. Can't remember if it was cased though, but do remember the asking price.

€ 70,000.
    I'll take two!.....

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I'll take two!.....
    That is wise. It's always comforting to know you have one in reserve, just in case the other one gets mislaid or taken away and buried by the dog or something.

Oh, and in case anybody doesn't know what to buy me for Christmas...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast