Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Deutsches Kreuz/German Cross in gold cloth - opinions?

Article about: Purchased last year. It has a Feldgrau background so I assume it is either Heer or Waffen SS. There is a small hole in the central field and the gold wash has worn off the wreath. I think it

Default Deutsches Kreuz/German Cross in gold cloth - opinions?

Purchased last year. It has a Feldgrau background so I assume it is either Heer or Waffen SS. There is a small hole in the central field and the gold wash has worn off the wreath. I think it is a good piece.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Kreuz/German Cross in gold cloth - opinions?   Deutsches Kreuz/German Cross in gold cloth - opinions?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsches Kreuz/German Cross in gold cloth - opinions?
    P
    Many

Default re: Deutsches Kreuz/German Cross in gold cloth - opinions?

H Neil, the condition of this one makes it hard to determine originality.

I do have real concerns. The lack of the die flaw to the number 9 in the date is a bit troubling.

Cheers, Ade.

Red stitching is a bit of a worry too. Stewy S

Weave on with backing of the Swaz appears to run the wrong way too. Stewy S

Yikes! Well, in my years of collecting and seeing original German awards, cloth and stitching I'm pretty sure this is a good piece. The photos don't show detail too well. I've looked at it with a magnifying glass and it appears to be of proper composition. And I've noticed variation in original examples where the white backing material is horizontally placed or vertically placed. Can any of you provide additional details on what you perceive as flaws? The die flaw is of particular interest.

Hi Neil, the die flaw is found right on the top of the number 9. This got progressivly worse as time went on.

I don't think you will see it that clearly on mine in this photo: but I will take a better close up for you in daylight later this week.

If you can shoot some better closer pics of yours, in daylight, that might help too.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Kreuz/German Cross in gold cloth - opinions?   Deutsches Kreuz/German Cross in gold cloth - opinions?  

Ade, Thanks for your reply. Certainly, your example is in much better condition! I will look for the die flaw on the 9. I should get a better shot of it. I had so much trouble with lighting it for some reason. Neil

?

Default Re: Deutsches Kreuz/German Cross in gold cloth - opinions?

Here's my example for you to compare to and also a shot of the die flaw on the '9'.......

Attached Images Attached Images Deutsches Kreuz/German Cross in gold cloth - opinions? 

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi folks, I did get some better light this time but my camera just cannot get in very tight focus. Using a jeweler's loupe I did note two little nodules on the upper portion of the 9 - but nothing as pronounced as on other awards. Here is another front and back for examination. Again, I think the construction and material looks to be right on for the period. The age and wear all seem consistent with a 70 year old piece as well. If my esteemed peers on this site still don't give this example a passing grade then I guess this one was a waste of money. If it is a fake then it is a damn old one!

?

To be honest, I really don't know on this one, it appears to be a good example but there's something 'not quite right' about it in my eyes. The lack of a die flaw or at least a pronounced die flaw gives me some concern and the whole badge just looks out of proportion, the swastika seems a little small?
    I hope it is a good one but for me - I'm glad it's in your collection and not mine.......

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast