Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Deutsches Kreuz in Gold

Article about: Hello all, I need your opinion about this Deutsches Kreuz in gold. There is no makers mark to be found. I think the svastika looks a little big and the rivets on the back a little to good. T

Default Deutsches Kreuz in Gold

Hello all,

I need your opinion about this Deutsches Kreuz in gold.
    There is no makers mark to be found.
    I think the svastika looks a little big and the rivets on the back a little to good.

Thx / JH
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Kreuz in Gold   Deutsches Kreuz in Gold  

Deutsches Kreuz in Gold   Deutsches Kreuz in Gold  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsches Kreuz in Gold
    P
    Many

Default Re: Deutsches Kreuz in Gold

It's a fake, but not a bad attempt at all in my opinion, of a Zimmermann light '20'. The main giveaway is the strange dots and dashes in the date numbers, I can't understand why they did that as the rest of the badge would fool the unwary very easily.

I can see other problems that may be missed by some guys, the wreath, besides looking rough and almost as if it's been repainted, is incorrect at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock outer edges, the black starburst rays are wrong and lack the 11 o'clock flaw as well, and the reverse, although a good effort is not quite right regarding the catch plate and lack of the number '20' on the pin.

But it's a bit frightening in a way, as you know that folks, and i'm including some dealers here, will get caught out by this particular fake, it's pretty good. In a bad way!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Default Re: Deutsches Kreuz in Gold

Good observations Ned. The strange lines within the date are a bit weird. They draw the eye to the fact something isn't quite right. I would also add the uneven swastika to the mix, both in terms of the border edging and also the varying thickness.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....