Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Deutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in Gold

Article about: Thanks for the info everyone; I think I might take out a classified ad here within the next few days. Any opinions on what a fair asking price might be? Thanks again!

?

Default Re: Deutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in Gold

Quote by ludovit1 View Post
    Would you still buy it???
    Yes I would. Because I would use the forum to research and take the advice of those here who know what a good DKiG looks like. There is no question that the award in post #1 is an original award. Compare it to Ned's and see how they match up.

I'm sorry but your gentleman is also 'saving' you from buying originals too. You have the benefit from many experienced collectors here as opposed to a single person who I'm sorry to say doesn't know a good DKiG.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in Gold
    P
    Many

Quote by ludovit1 View Post
    I don't know much about them, that's why I use him. He sells badges as well and saved me once already from buying "originals". I talked to a guy selling them before purchasing he claimed them original, they looked original, just perfect. I sent the pics to this guy and he said because of this, this and this they are fakes. When I told the guy selling them, then he said, well because they were made in Europe, even if it was after the war, they used the original dyes, he still felt they were original, plus he invested a lot of money in them... Would you still buy it???
    Short answer: If I was in the market for a fairly priced Deutsche Kreuz in Gold, YES!

Has it occured to you that 'Your Guy' may see the photo's, tell you it's bad, and then buy it himself?

The cross is good, if you don't want to listen to advice, fair enough, knock yourself out.

BTW, have you any opinion on the one I own, good or bad?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Well, if you would buy it, then have I got I deal for you. I can see if that one is still available and you can have it.
    Because an original to me is one that was made and best if awarded to a person during the war.

Concentrate bud. I already have one by this maker, you do not. Thanks for coming, it's been emotional.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

These particular rivits are very distinctive. I can see nothing wrong with this Gold Cross.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

An original is one made before the end of hostilities in May 1945. Whether or not it was awarded to anyone has no bearing on it's originality. If you want an awarded piece then that is absolutely your choice and you should endeavour to obtain one. The cross in post #1 is an original and there is no doubt about that. But how do we know it hasn't been awarded?
    Please bear in mind also that you might find an issued piece but how will you know it definitely has been awarded? You will need cast iron provenance to know that for sure and it will come at a price.
    You've turned down the original award here. I can only ask that if you should find another, you post it here for the members to have a look at rather than your 'gentleman' who doesn't know much about them.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

The mere fact that it is not in it's original case leans towards the fact that it may well have been issued. Most of these were Not engraved with names and dates on the backs.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Emotional indeed; glad to see the discussion it stirred. How do you know I don't have one? Anyhow, I am not here to pick on anybody, just stating my opinion. You asked what I think of yours - definitely it's a beautiful piece, no question about that.
    And since you asked for some pictures, well I would like your (and others) opinion on this one.
    Thanks.

Deutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in GoldDeutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in GoldDeutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in GoldDeutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in GoldDeutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in GoldDeutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in GoldDeutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in Gold

It's trying hard I'll give you that! But the pin is not right, the thick rounded end is wrong, as is the '1' on it and the flat wire catch is too wide. The engraving is a classic example of over egging the pudding by being attributed to Oberst (later Generalleutnant) Edmund Blaurock KC & Oaks winner. The engraved font style is typical of modern reproductions, but it's a worryingly good effort IMO.

Hello Ludovit1, I must agree with big Ned,
    Your Cross is a pretty poor attempt at being a good cross.
    The patina on the wreath is not good These were finely gilded items and even in wear would not show the overall deterioration to the finish that yours displays.
    Note the red celluloid lining, it is not correctly positioned under the wreath.
    The rivets are sure fire indicators that this is a post war reproduction as they are over flattened
    The number one on the pin looks to me like it has been hand engraved,(.....in much the same style as the inscription) rather than a die punched example that is on the original cross
    All the best
    Doug

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast