Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Deutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in Gold

Article about: Thanks for the info everyone; I think I might take out a classified ad here within the next few days. Any opinions on what a fair asking price might be? Thanks again!

Default Re: Deutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in Gold

Thanks for the great description why, it sure helps to understand what you are looking at and the reasons behind it. Appreciated.

Can you guys do the same thing with this one? Not sure if this is an original; sure would welcome your take on it.
    Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in Gold   Deutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in Gold  

Deutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in Gold  
    Last edited by Adrian; 07-29-2012 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Photos uploaded.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in Gold
    P
    Many

?

Strange development in this thread

This cross is supposed to be a late war Deschler with a cupal backplate. The catch is not associated with earlier Deschler's light or heavy, because of the circular plate that the catch is soldered to; this was only seen towards the end of the war on the cupal types.

But for me there is a problem with the rays on the silver sunburst. To me they are too long and thin, I've not seen that before. Below is a genuine late war cupal Deschler cross, note the differences in the length and width of the silver rays, obverse and most noticably reverse, where they are clearly shorter and thicker.

The rest of the award looks pretty good, but because of the differences I see, I can't be 100% sure it's legit, it could well be, but I can't say for sure. Maybe others here have a take on it?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in Gold   Deutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in Gold  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

plenty has been said about the examples here in this thread and i think probably adding my take gets us to the point of diminishing returns.

suffice it to say that i find big ed's (and the other's... wagriff, adrian, etc.) to be right there with my own impressions.

the first Deutsche Kreuz in Gold is good. the rest... not so good for reasons already well stated. i might also suggest that one opinion from off-forum that the first badge is fake must be weighed against the fact that this single opinion is odd out against the opinions of several very experienced collectors with very public and extensive track records of making these sorts of calls accurately.

i could add that with the last example here (not big ed's... the one in question previous to his) i also, like big ed, find the rays thin, lacking definition, and also curious to the extent that the rays do not extend from the periphery of the badge to the wreath. they simply "fade out" to flat before reaching the wreath.

a shot straight on, and not angled, may reveal that there has been some kind of slippage here but every thing seems out-of-centre in a way i have not seen before in good badges.

Thanks and sorry I omitted to mention that this example is being advertised as "silver", so I assume they would be made using the same dyes, but having a different finish...?
    I don't have a better shot from top, but will try to get one...

Sorry gentlemen I screwed up. This is the silver one...

Deutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in GoldDeutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in Gold
    Last edited by ludovit1; 08-01-2012 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Trying to upload the pictures again...

Hi Ned, there definitely is a difference in the rays; also when I compare the two and look at the wreath on the front, you can see a difference in detail. The one I posted has more detail on the leaves (on yours it looks like a smooth ribbon, where on the other one looks like "3 lines"...). Also looks like the circular plate for the catch is different...

The DKiS is a fake Godet emanating from the old Soviet bloc. Everything about it is wrong! Obverse side; the wreath is bad, the date is bad, the red cheat line is wrong and the swastika is rounded on every corner.

Reverse side; the rivets are wrong, the catch is bad and the pin is way out! Too fat and the maker mark '21' is in the wrong font. Furthermore, it is never on the front of the pin on originals, it's on the back, and always in a box, not without. Run Ludo...Run!!!!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned; again back to the old "if it sounds too good it probably is (not good)... Did you have a second look at the DKiG?

Quote by ludovit1 View Post
    Thanks Ned; again back to the old "if it sounds too good it probably is (not good)... Did you have a second look at the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold?
    If you are referring to the one that is at the top of this page of the thread (page 4) that is not an authentic Deschler produced piece. Here's an example I had, notice how completely different the wreath is on this one. If the photos you have provided in this thread were sent to you by somebody trying to sell this badge there is a reason they used the angle they did to photograph the piece, instead of straight on; they are trying to hide the tell-tale distinctions you would see on authentic Deschler wreath.

Do you see the "hump" above the 1941 date on the authentic wreath I posted? Also, look at how much the leaves come out to the sides, this is referred to as a "splayed" wreath.

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsches Kreuz in Gold / German Cross in Gold  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast