Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Early shooting medal?

Article about: Here is how different the reverse 'decor' can look from maker to maker. Obviously the second one is zinc based and the first one is nickel silver, so there are going to be NS one is going to

Default Early shooting medal?

Ok guys, I decided to take a chance on this. I've been on the fence with this for over a week now, and decided to put off the Heer dagger I was looking at for this and an EK. I hope I did well...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early shooting medal?   Early shooting medal?  

Early shooting medal?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early shooting medal?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Early shooting medal?

Never seen this shooting medal before, but I can say it has an incorrect ribbon.
    The ribbon is for a WWI 'Kriegsverdienst' ( War Service ) Cross.

The medal is very nice looking. I noticed it has as a strange
    'curl' of metal on the left side of the reverse.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I think the ring has been added to it IMO.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Thanks for the replies. The seller did have some WWI awards there, so maybe that's where the ribbon got mixed up. The ring attached to the medal doesn't show that it had been recently added, maybe just bent. The ring that the ribbon is on does look more recent than the rest of the piece - could even be a piece of scrap silver. Does it help to say that the seller claimed it is silver? I imagine it could be plated, but I see spots where the copper/bronze has worn through on the bottom of the stahlhelm and on the back.

Personally, I don't have great feelings about this medal. First of all, I've never seen any award like it before. While this doesn't mean necessarily that it's bad, it makes me look at the Rest of the medal more closely. The helmet is terribly crude and out of proportion(just look at the skirt of it or the dome) and there is a huge casting flaw on the reverse side at 10 O'clock. The suspension ring is tiny and inappropriate in size to the diameter and weight of the medal as well. The overall appearance of the extremely crudely made design and the poor casting of the medal itself makes me doubt it entirely. And, it if were indeed made of solid silver, it would have to have silver hallmarks or stampings on it somewhere, but I'm not seeing those either. Even a jewelers piece would be stamps "800" or "950", etc. I would have to conclude that this is a badly made post-war fantasy piece. Sorry,Wolfe.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Actually, I like it.

Nationale Erhebung Wettschiessen 1933. Try a bit of research on that.

There are a lot of these semi official medals which have not been fully documented.

It is certainly not silver. And not the best quality item, but I think it stands half a chance. I am ignoring the ribbon.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Have you seen others like this, Ade-with the bowler hat style helmet and the bell skirt? If these are original pieces, then they must be some of the worst art work people in the business that made them! I guess the Germans weren't all the meticulous picky lot they want you to believe they were! lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

This medal is 100% original!

It should measure 40mm in diameter. I have seen bronze and silver...so it makes me believe that there would be a gold one as well.

I agree that the ribbon has been added though...I have never seen one with a ribbon intact.

Chrys

Hi William, no never seen this one before.

Sometimes the design/artwork on this kind of thing is a bit "stylised" at best.

I think sometimes we can attribute them with better design work than was done in practise.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Thanks Chrys!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

A lot of these things were very, very "local" if you know what I mean. I would like to see the rim of the medal though...I do see some evidence of casting...just want to make sure!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast