Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs 1914/1918

Article about: Hello folks. Another cheap one from the Espenlaub sale. A very nice Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs 1914/1918, better known by us collectors as the 'Hindenburg Cross'. Instituted in 1934 by presid

Default Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs 1914/1918

Hello folks.

Another cheap one from the Espenlaub sale. A very nice Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs 1914/1918, better known by us collectors as the 'Hindenburg Cross'. Instituted in 1934 by president Paul von Hindenburg, these decorations were awarded to veterans of the First World War as a recognition of their service and sacrifice. There were three variations. This one, with swords, was awarded to frontline veterans. There was also a version without swords; awarded to non-combat veterans, and a third variation for the widows and next of kin of fallen soldiers.

This one is in great condition, minus one minor rust spot just above the '8', and bears the maker mark 'G15'.

These are very cheap awards, and have never been desirable pieces. Perhaps due to the lack of typical 'Nazi' imagery used in its design, or the fact that it is not often viewed as a 'true' Third Reich award, pertaining instead to the Great War. These are, in my opinion, an important part of any Third Reich medal collection, as they symbolise the tangible link between the two World Wars. Many recipients of these medals would go on to serve in the Wehrmacht. And the older men, previously considered too old for further military service, would ultimately be press-ganged into the Volkssturm. They would witness not only the fall of the German Empire, but of Nazi Germany as well.

Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs 1914/1918Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs 1914/1918

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs 1914/1918
    P
    Many

In my opinion one of the nicest medals instituted under the third Reich. And the first medal instituted under the third Reich.
    The ONLY medal that do not have a svastika or an eagle..
    It was awarded 8.041.414 times, last one awarded as late as in 1969. I know if you look wiki it says 1944, but i do have a couple of books on the medal where the last medal awarded was in 1969 claimed by family.

They are cheap yes and not considered much... but i really like these medals...
    And Brodie they can be addictive

I used to collect them by maker untill i reached almost 200 of them
    A small handfull of them here..

Very well presented Brodie, Well done on a great medal one to be proud of

P.S G15 is an unknown maker.

A wonderful collection of crosses you have there! It'll be some time before I reach a collection of that magnitude. Having a complete set of three would be enough for me.

B.B.

Quote by Ullergaard View Post
    I
    It was awarded 8.041.414 times, last one awarded as late as in 1969. I know if you look wiki it says 1944, but i do have a couple of books on the medal where the last medal awarded was in 1969 claimed by family.
    No offense, but what's the source for that?

I have never heard of any Third Reich-era decorations being retroactively awarded after 8 May 1945, and don't think this is even legally possible.

(The sole exception - of sorts - being the Wound Badge, which under section 7 of the 1957 Ordensgesetz is allowed to be worn by everyone injured due to the effects of the war even if they had not been awarded one before the end of WWII, provided their wartime injuries and entitlement to wear the badge were officially certified by the proper FRG authorities.)

?

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Hello folks.

Another cheap one from the Espenlaub sale. A very nice Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs 1914/1918, better known by us collectors as the 'Hindenburg Cross'. Instituted in 1934 by president Paul von Hindenburg, these decorations were awarded to veterans of the First World War as a recognition of their service and sacrifice. There were three variations. This one, with swords, was awarded to frontline veterans. There was also a version without swords; awarded to non-combat veterans, and a third variation for the widows and next of kin of fallen soldiers.

This one is in great condition, minus one minor rust spot just above the '8', and bears the maker mark 'G15'.

These are very cheap awards, and have never been desirable pieces. Perhaps due to the lack of typical 'Nazi' imagery used in its design, or the fact that it is not often viewed as a 'true' Third Reich award, pertaining instead to the Great War. These are, in my opinion, an important part of any Third Reich medal collection, as they symbolise the tangible link between the two World Wars. Many recipients of these medals would go on to serve in the Wehrmacht. And the older men, previously considered too old for further military service, would ultimately be press-ganged into the Volkssturm. They would witness not only the fall of the German Empire, but of Nazi Germany as well.

Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs 1914/1918Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs 1914/1918

Regards, B.B.
    A very nice addition there B.B.
    I think these crosses are underrated and every collection should have some in it.
    Wilko

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    No offense, but what's the source for that?

I have never heard of any Third Reich-era decorations being retroactively awarded after 8 May 1945, and don't think this is even legally possible.

(The sole exception - of sorts - being the Wound Badge, which under section 7 of the 1957 Ordensgesetz is allowed to be worn by everyone injured due to the effects of the war even if they had not been awarded one before the end of WWII, provided their wartime injuries and entitlement to wear the badge were officially certified by the proper FRG authorities.)
    Andreas:

The last known OFFICIAL decoration by the Cross of Honor dates back to September 1944 while 1945 has been mentioned by some sources as the final date.

You are correct about the official part..
    But still family could apply for the medals many years after if they could document the person who was entitled the medal never got it.

Quote by Ullergaard View Post
    Andreas:

The last known OFFICIAL decoration by the Cross of Honor dates back to September 1944 while 1945 has been mentioned by some sources as the final date.

You are correct about the official part..
    But still family could apply for the medals many years after if they could document the person who was entitled the medal never got it.

That's essentially the same thing as a retroactive award. The Ordensgesetz of the FRG has no legal provisions for this, although it does regulate the wearing of decorations that had been awarded up until 8 May 1945 (Imperial-, Weimar- and Third Reich era ones).

Even during the Third Reich, those eligible for the Ehrenkreuz des Weltkrieges had to actively apply for it on their own initiative before the respective cut-off dates of 31 May 1935 for the Altreich (extended to 30 June in the Saarland) and 30 September 1939 for Austria and the Sudetenland (later applications were only authorized for ethnic German inhabitants of territories annexed/occupied in the war, with regulations issued as late as September 1944). If a potential recipient missed these dates, he had waived his entitlement to the award for good.

Maybe there is some misunderstanding, and this is merely about obtaining replacement medals for official recipients, but those were not provided by the state; they had to be bought from manufacturers/retailers on one's own cost without the possibility or necessity of involving the authorities at all. Or it is about the application for a replacement certificate, which was possible, but only if the actual award had been made up until 8 May 1945. Maybe there is something that I am not aware of.

So, again, and on the risk of making a nuisance of myself: What's the documentation for the alleged possibility to apply for these awards post-WW2 and the 1969 date?
    Last edited by HPL2008; 11-13-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    That's essentially the same thing as a retroactive award. The Ordensgesetz of the FRG has no legal provisions for this, although it does regulate the wearing of decorations that had been awarded up until 8 May 1945 (Imperial-, Weimar- and Third Reich era ones).

Even during the Third Reich, those eligible for the Ehrenkreuz des Weltkrieges had to actively apply for it on their own initiative before the respective cut-off dates of 31 May 1935 for the Altreich (extended to 30 June in the Saarland) and 30 September 1939 for Austria and the Sudetenland (later applications were only authorized for ethnic German inhabitants of territories annexed/occupied in the war, with regulations issued as late as September 1944). If a potential recipient missed these dates, he had waived his entitlement to the award for good.

Maybe there is some misunderstanding, and this is merely about obtaining replacement medals for official recipients, but those were not provided by the state; they had to be bought from manufacturers/retailers on one's own cost without the possibility or necessity of involving the authorities at all. Or it is about the application for a replacement certificate, which was possible, but only if the actual award had been made up until 8 May 1945. Maybe there is something that I am not aware of.

So, again, and on the risk of making a nuisance of myself: What's the documentation for the alleged possibility to apply for these awards post-WW2 and the 1969 date?
    Maybe it is just me who made a mistake..
    And i think you know better than i..
    Of course i can't find the info where i was sure i had the information from!
    So my mistake
    If i find it i will post it.