Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Erdkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe, Opinions needed

Article about: I'm thinking of buying this one. Could you guys give some honest opinions, if fake or repro what did I mis? And what would be a fair price for it. Regards, Steven

Default Erdkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe, Opinions needed

I'm thinking of buying this one.
    Could you guys give some honest opinions, if fake or repro what did I mis?
    And what would be a fair price for it.

Regards,
    Steven
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Erdkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe, Opinions needed   Erdkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe, Opinions needed  

Last edited by rbminis; 07-08-2014 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Edited to use proper German terminology in the title

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Erdkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe, Opinions needed
    P
    Many

I think it may well be a genuine unmarked zinc Juncker short barrelled hinge with a flatwire catch, a known variant. It's lost it's nickel silver eagle covering revealing the zinc base below with the tombak rivet securing the eagle showing through in the centre of the bird. It would be best to wait for other opinions, as the pic's aren't the best for me to examine closely enough to be 100% confident in my assessment though.

As for price, I don't really know, but the award is incomplete and as such should not be near top dollar. Personally I would pass, but that's just my opinion.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for the advice big ned, allways value your input.
    The seller is asking 145 Euro for it, would that be to much?

Regards,
    Steven

Hi Steven,

Like I said, I don't know what a fair price for one of these would be, but 145 Euro's is around $200 and I wouldn't pay that for it if I wanted it, which I don't as it's damaged. See what others say, especially regarding originality as i'm not entirely sure. I doubt it's going to be running out the shop anytime soon....
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned.

Pics are very poor to see the details, but i see not an Juncker badge Ned. I think, i have never seen an rivet like this on a original Erdkampfabzeichen.

Greetings
    Joe

Quote by Kradmelder View Post
    Pics are very poor to see the details, but i see not an Juncker badge Ned. I think, i have never seen an rivet like this on a original Erdkampfabzeichen.

Greetings
    Joe
    Hi Joe,

I'm basing my thoughts on this unmarked original Juncker. Bear in mind that there were variant hardware differences, and the rivet may be a slight miss strike or even another variant,(some were chrome/NS plated tombak rivets, as this appears to be when viewed from both sides). Many fixing methods were seen on late war numbered PAB's from, for instance, Gustav Brehmer (G.B) where many differences are noted (rivets, split pins, soldering) used for fixing during production at that time. The above LWGAB is a very late production piece as well dating from around early to mid 1944 until production at the Juncker factory more or less ceased in December 1944 due to being bombed out.

The only real way to move forward here is better close up shots in focus, and that may be to big an ask I reckon. On the evidence of the photo's available, I don't see any glaring red flags, neither can I find examples of fakes that match it even closely.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Erdkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe, Opinions needed   Erdkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe, Opinions needed  

Hi Guys,

Just found this on another forum, and it looks like it's the same badge. Although the hinge mentioned in the comment from no less than Tom Durante is not very clear in the photo posted at the start of this thread, I believe it's the same, as is the rivet and rest of the hardware. On the obverse, the eagle also looks identical, with the weird head and neck. It's interesting to note that Juncker and S&L seem to possibly have collaborated on more than one type of badge yet again, with strong evidence in the similarity of both companies PAB production being another case in point.

Here's what Tom Durante says, and the badge he is commenting on:

"I would be cautious with any badge that has a hinge like that on it. This type of badge was made by S&L in my opinion, and we aren't sure if any were made during the war, or after or both. This type of hinge seems to always be found on questionable badges, with other weird aspects to it and weird finishes, etc. In addition to your weird hinge, the rivet is also not like those used by S&L during the war."

Erdkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe, Opinions neededErdkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe, Opinions needed

I think it's a match, case closed, but whether or not it's a wartime, post war, both produced badge, or a bogus piece, is still a mystery. On that premise alone, I would let it pass.

The Erdkampfabzeichen has become a collector's minefield for sure...I finally settled on the late-war, one-piece Arno Walpach Version, only buying after making sure that EVERY feature matched up with known originals posted here on the Forum...I'm impressed and very grateful for the knowledge shared here, which obviously reflect years of dedicated study...
    cheers, Glenn

Hi Ned,

a Juncker badge it is not for sure. The starting badge have a complete other obverse design compared with the Juncker design. I have posted here three weeks ago an Juncker Erdkampfabzeichen...can you remember?

The last badge you have posted, is for me too an unknown type...first time that i see it. Looking for me too believable and close to the starting badge. Good search Ned!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast