Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Flakkampfabzeichen(A)

Article about: Hi everyone , I am looking to get this one from Bill's site, it looks a good original badge to me(if not perfect!) It is a marked Assman(although the hinge has frozen). As ever I would like

Default Flakkampfabzeichen(A)

Hi everyone , I am looking to get this one from Bill's site, it looks a good original badge to me(if not perfect!) It is a marked Assman(although the hinge has frozen). As ever I would like to hear your opinions, thanks in advance, Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flakkampfabzeichen(A)   Flakkampfabzeichen(A)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flakkampfabzeichen(A)
    P
    Many

Hi Leon,

Save your money it's a cast fake.

Take a close look at the catch on the reverse, it's too low to be an original Assmann Flak. This fake has been cast from an original badge that has had the catch repaired, note that there is no difference from the badge material and the solder affixing the catch, they are the same. Also the pin is an incorrect type for this badge, and the fact that the hinge is 'frozen' is another reason to take a closer look, it too is partially cast into the badge, and that's wrong.

Moving onto the obverse, note the dings on the cannon barrel i've highlighted on both photo's of Bill's badge and another identical cast fake. Also the damage to the eagles feet and the wear on the gun's elevation wheel are the same on both, besides other small details that i've not bothered to highlight.

Better pic's here from the vendor's website:

M-268a Luftwaffe Anti-Aircraft War Badge

Here are the comparisons between Bill's badge and the cast fake, obverse and reverse.

Flakkampfabzeichen(A)Flakkampfabzeichen(A)Flakkampfabzeichen(A)

And here's a couple of reverse photo's of genuine badges showing the correct position of the catch and type of pin that should be found on Assmann Luftwaffe Flakabzeichen's.

Flakkampfabzeichen(A)Flakkampfabzeichen(A)

First day of the New Year and Ned's off running saving another member a $270 dry bumming.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Well thank you very much Ned , that is a very well observed and detailed synopsis which I greatly appreciate. I must admit that I thought the eagles feet were a little suspicious but I would never have spotted the other "give away" traits! The only other thing I thought may have been wrong with this was that the Assman mark was very difficult to see , which is easily explained by your explanation of this being a cast! Thank you once more Ned for your time (and money saving opinion) , I am surprised that Bill has let this one "slip" onto his site. Cheers , Leon.

nicely put Ned.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    nicely put Ned.
    Hahahahaaaaa trust Ned!...