Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Fliegerschutzenabzeichen fur Bordschutzen und Bordmechaniker - Assman (Luft Air Gunner Award)

Article about: A late war Assmann "Raised A" zinc Air Gunner award. It's a "true" AG as it is not converted from a ROAG (i.e. removed lightening bolts.). Typically you can see this in t

MAP
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    If that's the case, why not prime the wreath while they were at it ? Why just coat the eagle ?
    IMO, the wreath is primed as well. Otherwise it too would have lost all its finish like typical zinc awards. Given the very good condition of the award, it just hasn't worn through to the copper primer.

I'll see if I can pull up photos of some of these Assmann's without the coating. I found a few when I was researching.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fliegerschutzenabzeichen fur Bordschutzen und Bordmechaniker - Assman  (Luft Air Gunner Award)
    P
    Many

Great looking piece.... Michael I have watched a progression with you from a novice collector and a person that was always eager to learn to a collector with a great eye for high quality items and a person that through his growth in learning has been a invaluable member here in your willingness to always go that extra mile with members.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Great looking piece.... Michael I have watched a progression with you from a novice collector and a person that was always eager to learn to a collector with a great eye for high quality items and a person that through his growth in learning has been a invaluable member here in your willingness to always go that extra mile with members.

Marty
    Thanks Marty! Greatly appreciated. I'm just returning the favor and enjoying giving back. There are many members here who took us under their wing, nurtured and taught us and then set us on our own path. That said, I ALWAYS say "I'm the dumbest guy in the room". So I help where I can and keep my mouth shut where I can't Once ego gets involved in this hobby, it doesn't end well.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Well done Michael, I very rarely look into the awards section these days ( due to time ) but this is a fine example of an air gunners award, as you say, not converted. The talons are always a big give away in that respect as you well know! Leon.

MAP
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Well done Michael, I very rarely look into the awards section these days ( due to time ) but this is a fine example of an air gunners award, as you say, not converted. The talons are always a big give away in that respect as you well know! Leon.
    Thanks Leon. Yes. Small Talons = Converted, Large Talons = Non-converted.

I was patient with this award. I wanted my usual issued and worn but still with a high quality finish. Very hard to come by with non-converted AG's as most a low quality Zinc.

There is not many research books on Luft flight awards. I only have Previttera's book, and while nice...it does not cover all the examples. So with this award, I had to learn the hard way. Threads, Threads and more Threads on many different forums. Bit by bit you piece it together. Also had a bit of help from Joe

Quote by MAP View Post
    Thanks Leon. Yes. Small Talons = Converted, Large Talons = Non-converted.

I was patient with this award. I wanted my usual issued and worn but still with a high quality finish. Very hard to come by with non-converted AG's as most a low quality Zinc.

There is not many research books on Luft flight awards. I only have Previttera's book, and while nice...it does not cover all the examples. So with this award, I had to learn the hard way. Threads, Threads and more Threads on many different forums. Bit by bit you piece it together. Also had a bit of help for Joe
    Yep! Joe knows his mustard!! I must admit I feel a touch guilty not having the time to "chip in" on the awards forum these days as I learnt a hell of a lot from our old mate Ned, and although I stopped collecting awards some time ago, some of that that knowledge is still lodged in this thick skull of mine! Sadly I think that the kids and wife will keep me firmly restricted in the helmet section! Leon.

And the beer mug section !!

A really interesting thread, and worth remembering when looking at these kinds of badges.
    Nick

MAP
    ?

Gents,

Attached are some new photos of this award that I took this week.

NOTE: This award will be in Sébastien Talbot's upcoming new book on ROAG, AG and Retired Pilot badges.

Please keep an eye out for it. From what little I have seen, it looks like it will at least be equal to his other excellent two volume set on Luftwaffe Pilot and Pilot/Observer badges.

Here is a link to his existing book (Post #27)

Orders and Decorations of the Third Reich (Both Combat awards and Political Awards)

Enjoy.

Fliegerschutzenabzeichen fur Bordschutzen und Bordmechaniker - Assman  (Luft Air Gunner Award)

Fliegerschutzenabzeichen fur Bordschutzen und Bordmechaniker - Assman  (Luft Air Gunner Award)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2