MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Flottenkriegsabzeichen (weak strike 5th port hole type)

Article about: Hello one and all, thought you may just like a look at this HIGH SEA FLEET WAR BADGE as it has the rare weak strikeing of the 5th port hole! It is a cracking early tomback version with 99% o

Default Flottenkriegsabzeichen (weak strike 5th port hole type)

Hello one and all, thought you may just like a look at this HIGH SEA FLEET WAR BADGE as it has the rare weak strikeing of the 5th port hole! It is a cracking early tomback version with 99% of it's gold wash still present. If you look at the close up of the portholes you can clearly see the rectangular impression of the 5th porthole unlike the fakes that are cast which have it completely missing or it is round from where a nail or alike has been used to create another porthole.Also the fakes cannot get close to reproducing the small "pimples" which run arond the reverse bottom edge underneath the manufacturers details. I hope these pictures are usefull.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flottenkriegsabzeichen (weak strike 5th port hole type)   Flottenkriegsabzeichen (weak strike 5th port hole type)  

Flottenkriegsabzeichen (weak strike 5th port hole type)   Flottenkriegsabzeichen (weak strike 5th port hole type)  

Flottenkriegsabzeichen (weak strike 5th port hole type)  
    Last edited by Adrian; 07-13-2012 at 07:59 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flottenkriegsabzeichen (weak strike 5th port hole type)
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Flottenkriegsabzeichen (weak strike 5th port hole type)

It's a fine badge!

Can you take any more shots that show the gilt wreath a bit better please? The colour is a little washed out in the image above.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

quality badge i like these!

?

I should mention that the more I look at the above images, I do have slight concerns over the gold finish hence my request for some more pics in different light.
    You will notice the grainy finish on the gilt, normally seen on the early badges. This is not one of these early types as the die wear has resulted in the loss of the left bridge window therefore we know it to be of slightly later production and the gilting on these was much finer and less grainy.
    Note also the difference in colour between the gilt on the obverse and the overspill on the reverse. There shouldn't be such a difference if the badge is photographed in the same light at the same time.
    However, as we all know, light and photographs do play tricks on us so hopefully better images will eliminate any concerns.

Hi Adrian, well spotted about the softer finish to the wash,your quite right about it not being the earliest run of badges, i just mean't it was early as it is a tomback. As for the colour difference i did photograph the back of the badge in a different location and in darker light conditions(notice the white back ground instead of brown)than the front. Sorry if that caused a bit of confusion.

?

That would explain the colour difference but if you can take another shot of the obverse in more subdued light it would be helpful.

I have had another go Adrian but the pictures all come out a brighter yellow colour than the wash really is! Maybe my camera is not up to the job(it is a few years old now)!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flottenkriegsabzeichen (weak strike 5th port hole type)