Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flugzeugführerabzeichen Juncker, written on the back

Article about: Hi guys, I have noticed on this badge that I bought sometime ago, that there are some numbers written and do not reach to understand what they are, maybe you can give me some ideas?, many th

Default Named Flugzeugführerabzeichen Juncker J2

Hi guys, I have noticed on this badge that I bought sometime ago, that there are some numbers written and do not reach to understand what they are, maybe you can give me some ideas?, many thanks, Juan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flugzeugführerabzeichen Juncker, written on the back  
    Last edited by jamoros; 02-05-2016 at 09:29 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flugzeugführerabzeichen Juncker, written on the back
    P
    Many

HI again, if you read it the other way around, maybe it s a surname or something similar? Grätz?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flugzeugführerabzeichen Juncker, written on the back  

Hi guys, it s got to be Grätz for sure, glad to have this named badge and at least know what the surname of the pilot was

For those interested, this is the thread I entered sometime ago, so that you can have a look at the overall Badge

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/order...r-case-552339/

I have been surveying around in the web for pilots with that surname and this is what I got, could it be posible or is too difficult to asess?

GRATZ, Karl ("Charlie") (RK; DKiG)
    (1919 -)
    Leutnant:
    Born: 24. Jan. 1919 in Wiener Neustadt / Osterreich.
    Promotions:
    Leutnant:
    Unteroffizier:
    Career:
    Decorations & Awards:
    Ritterkreuz des E.K.: 1. Jul. 1942 as Unteroffizier
    Deutsches Kreuz in Gold: 27. Jul. 1943
    \ Ehrenpokal: 8. Jun. 1942
    1939 Eisernes Kreuz I. Klasse
    1939 Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse
    Frontflug-Spange fur Tagjager in Gold mit Anhanger
    Flugzeugfuhrerabzeichen
    Postwar Captivity:
    Captured by U.S. forces and turned over to Soviet authorities. In Soviet captivity: 1945 - 1949.
    Notes:
    138 aerial victories (including 17 on the Western Front and 3 4-engined bombers) in ca. 900 combat sorties.

Do you think guys is outrageous to say that this badge could have belonged to the pilot Karl Grätz?

Are there any other pilots by the name of Grätz known?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I wish I could examine it under a loupe, but I think it's a ü not an ä. Here you can see under a little magnification of your image, with enhanced contrast.

Flugzeugführerabzeichen Juncker, written on the back

There also happens to be one WW2 German Pilot I can find, by the name Erwin Grütz.

Kracker Luftwaffe Archive Alphabetical List

If this is who is named on your badge, he was killed trying to get his fighter in the air during an RAF bombing:

Because of the early alarm on Bergen airfield, 2 German pilots ran to their fighters and tried to take off during the attack. Uffz. Hans Rathenow succeeded, but his collegue Uffz. Erwin Grütz was hit by shrapnel of the Boston's exploding bombs. He drove his fighter into a barrack and got killed. The story goes that he was found in the cockpit in his underwear. ZZairwar - Cem Huisduinen (Den Helder)

Poor Erwin was literally caught with his pants down. Brave, dedicated, yes. But an unfortunate footnote in history.

Definitely looks to be a "U" rather than an "A". Well spotted!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

my god, you have excellent eyes, well done it s definetely a ü, thanks very much, well, yesterday I thought this badge to be just another pilot s badge with some history behind, now it seems that we have all managed to narrow it down and get some name behind it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast