Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flugzeugführerabzeichen - real ?

Article about: I would be interested your opinions about this badge. It's in auction and I want to buy, it if it OK. Thanks for your replies. Annoyed from this ads?  

?

Default Flugzeugführerabzeichen - real ?

I would be interested your opinions about this badge. It's in auction and I want to buy, it if it OK.
    Thanks for your replies.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flugzeugführerabzeichen - real ?
    P
    Many

I like it, but wait out for other replies.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hard to say Ned, based on this pics. It´s for me personal not possible to make an serious opinion. The important areas, hinge,catch, rivets etc. are not good to see. Based from this pics to spend money is a gambling imo.

KR
    Joe

a tentative thumbs up,pics are good.

Quote by Kradmelder View Post
    Hard to say Ned, based on this pics. It´s for me personal not possible to make an serious opinion. The important areas, hinge,catch, rivets etc. are not good to see. Based from this pics to spend money is a gambling imo.

KR
    Joe
    Hi Joe,

I entirely agree that better pictures that are correctly focussed and the badge being orientated and lit in a more regular way that shows all the pertinent points we wish to see clearly would make things a lot more easy to examine.

Having said that, the reason I give it a tentative is because the eagle and wreath are the correct type for it being a GWL badge, and on the reverse, the small block hinge, pin and it's tension foot, sheet metal directly soldered on catch, rivets and hand finishing are all pointers that the badge is good IMO.

It's extremely rare to find a fake where everything appears to match a single maker correctly, although not unheard of, but in this case it would be a first for me to find a fake pilot's badge where, and it's only my thoughts, everything appears to tick the right boxes for a single maker.

But, I have never been an advocate of recommending a piece unless I can be 100% sure (hence my saying wait for other opinions), and would second your request for better shots, which is only correct when thinking of outlaying a fairly large sum for this particular piece.

It will be interesting to see if this can be done and a consensus reached.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Well, I ask the dealer for better photos. Can you write the details that are important? Otherwise, thank you for your interest!

I would be interested to see more pics.

I think it stands a chance too.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I just have a feeling that this is one of the latest fakes.
    I have seen one or two copies of the GWL pilots badges that are excellent an even include the fault at around the 7 oclock point in the makers mark.
    The Eagle looks to be too black and without seeing the characteristic swirls on the back I would give it a big thumbs down. Is it made of zinc?
    The plating on the wreath looks just too flat as though it had been acid dipped rather than the bright buffed finish you would expect.
    As said by all more detailed pictures are absolutely necessary on this one.
    I may be absolutely wrong but I would give this one a miss
    All the best
    Doug

?

Seller sent me these additional pictures. Unfortunately again, only small ....

Hi klot,

Thanks for the new pics. Unfortunately I'm going to say pass on the new evidence here. The hinge and pin bend around it are not quite right for starters, although the rivets look close IMO. But the big no-no for me is that the badge is obviously not made of tombak, it looks more like zinc what with the powdery residue similar to white rust. GWL never made these in anything but tombak/buntmetall as far as is known so that kills it for me, sorry.

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 02-02-2015 at 06:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast