Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Friedrich Orth aus Wien Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen

Article about: Gentlemen, I am trying to help a new collector get started and I would like to show the benefits of this great forum. I will reference this thread to him. I know this is a poor fake, but hyp

Default Friedrich Orth aus Wien Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen

Gentlemen,

I am trying to help a new collector get started and I would like to show the benefits of this great forum. I will reference this thread to him.

I know this is a poor fake, but hypothetically speaking, let's say this guy posted this item on his own, what would you say? If you believe this badge is a reproduction, tell him why, please enlighten things and give some advice.

I have stated that an authentic FO badge in zinc will never have a catch-plate under the hinge for starters, but what else can you TEACH him about authentic badges from this maker, what is there to learn about?

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Friedrich Orth aus Wien Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen   Friedrich Orth aus Wien Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen  

Friedrich Orth aus Wien Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen   Friedrich Orth aus Wien Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Friedrich Orth aus Wien Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen
    P
    Many

Hello William,
    I would tell him to learn how to use a camera so that he is able to post reasonably good photos if he expects members to assist him in determining real from fake awards. The devil is in the detail so they say.
    From these photos it is impossible to even say if that catch plate is not cast like the hinge.. I see no plate under the hinge....
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi William,

Orth made two types of Flottenkreigsabzeichen, both were zinc and one was marked '+' as well as the maker mark f.o. This badge had a recessed sheet metal hinge with an almost ovoid base, but I guess other variants were possibly used. The catch was a tombak '?' shape soldered directly onto the badge.

The second type was just marked f.o. and had 'cast in' hardware. The hinge on your friends badge appears to ape this, but the catch on the oblong base plate is completely wrong and reminiscent of the 'Juncker set up' hardware used by that company and another 'unknown maker'. The catch should be cast directly into the badge with no base plate or crimping marks at all.

The biggest lesson to be learned here really isn't about the badge though, it's about providing good photo's of the piece under question, it's unfair to ask for opinions to be given on such excerable photographic evidence as this......

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The AAF pilot wings are good - or appear to be.

Pics are REALLY bad and should be taken
    with a camera, not a phone.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I appreciate you taking this seriously and have discussed your advice with him. Thank you.

William Kramer

?

As said, the photos provided are key. If we have some decent photos to work with it will be easy to point out the differences between a good badge and a bad one.
    It will be straightforward to post side by side comparisons of the front and back and point out the things to look for on an original badge. I've said it many times here before, make sure your collector friend focuses on what makes an original, not what makes a fake.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....