Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Frontflugspange Award Paper Packet

Article about: I managed to pick up this rather rare award packet today...and although Luftwaffe awards aren't my main area of interest, I knew this was an item I could use for trading!

Default Frontflugspange Award Paper Packet

I managed to pick up this rather rare award packet today...and although Luftwaffe awards aren't my main area of interest, I knew this was an item I could use for trading!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Frontflugspange Award Paper Packet  
    Attached Images Attached Images Frontflugspange Award Paper Packet 
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 07-22-2012 at 05:35 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Frontflugspange Award Paper Packet
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Frontflugspange Award Paper Packet

I have to admit I haven't heard of this maker before? Are they a known manufacturer of Luft awards?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Maybe I fell for a fantasy-piece...

?

I really don't know. All the clasps in any form of packaging I've seen have been in the 'regular' hinged lid case.

As this is a Gold clasp and with a hanger I would also guess it should come with a proper case and not just an envelope. Coupled with the fact the maker is a bit obscure, I would be a bit suspicious.

Obviously, just because I haven't seen this before, doesn't make it right or wrong. Hopefully some of the other members can add opinions too.

I just found the maker in a german database (Dokumenten Forum). The code for this manufacturer is "36", Bury & Leonhard, Hanau...
    So perhaps I did indeed buy an original...

?

It is possible but I've never heard of this maker and definitely not in relation to decorations. It's strange that if they did indeed make this award, why haven't they made others and why haven't we heard of them.

It's a puzzler!

?

Glenn, did this one come from ebay?

Ebay Germany, but from a good seller it appears, his past items have all been legit...
    I'm more comfortable with it now as I was able to find this maker (Bury & Leonhard, Hanau) in the DokumentenForum database as maker's code "36"
    But from my ongoing research it appears that Bury & Leonhard only produced for a short time and at some point are replaced by a different maker in Hanau using the same number 36...
    It just seemed too odd to fake...and I couldn't see anything wrong w/it at $17.00...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Hmm.

I made some enquiries about this one and it was seen on ebay and declared fake.

There were seven known makers of flight clasps and Bury & Leonhard was not one of them. Paper packets are rare and were used in the later stages of the war so if the above mentioned company were replaced by another, it would suggest they would've been manufacturers earlier rather than later and therefore the timeline doesn't quite fit.
    I've never heard of this maker in all the time I've collected awards.

Fake packets are well known, often matched with awards to make a 'rare' and 'valuable' set which is why they're produced.

Dimas has produced a list of Manufacturers and LDO Markings (9-2-10), and this maker is listed under "36"
    You'll also find this maker by googleing. I found that this was a Court Jeweler....I still hold out hope that it's a good one, but if not I'll call it a lesson learned! The seller guarantees originality and will take returns as well....
    Thanks Adrian, always a pleasure hearing from you! Glenn