Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Opinions

Article about: I am going to post some photos of some WWII German badges for folks to study and offer opinions on before I post the for sale. I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to examine them. He

Default Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Opinions

I am going to post some photos of some WWII German badges for folks to study and offer opinions on before I post the for sale.
    I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to examine them.
    Here is the first one, a Luftwaffe Combined pilot-observer badge.
    Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Opinions   Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Opinions  

Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Opinions   Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Opinions  

Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Opinions  
    Last edited by rbminis; 08-06-2016 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Opinions
    P
    Many

sorry,imo it's another bad one.

The pic's are terrible as the flash washes out all the details you need to see, and it's making the gilded wreath look like crap too. Natural light only next time please! Having said that, I'm cautiously optimistic that this is a genuine JMME J2 P/O badge, but as said better pic's are required for me to be 100% on this one. Failing other answers, the ball's in your court.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I agree-the wreath looks terrible with that flash, and the eagle doesn't look much better. I'm not saying one way or another until better photos are done-perhaps in natural light?, but,right now, I'm not feeling too warm about the eagle and Did the firm use the "JMME" mark rather than the "IMME" mark on the PO badges?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I agree-the wreath looks terrible with that flash, and the eagle doesn't look much better. I'm not saying one way or another until better photos are done-perhaps in natural light?, but,right now, I'm not feeling too warm about the eagle and Did the firm use the "JMME" mark rather than the "IMME" mark on the PO badges?
    That's a good point, and I don't know the answer! I believe that the general consensus, which is just an informed theory based on the evidence so far available (although that may have since changed), is the the maker mark evolution was from 1936-1942-? IMME, then JMME and finally JMME & Sohn Berlin.

Whether the P/O badge was still produced by the time the JMME maker mark appeared I'm not sure....Maybe? But the Pilot's badge certainly was. Looking closely at the OP's badge it's noticeable that the hardware and EVEN THE PIN have at some point all been gilded in gold. I've never seen a P/O or any aircrew badge by any maker with a gilded pin...

So, is it genuine?? Or thinking out of the box, possibly the badge could be a genuine Pilot's badge that has been gilded, perhaps unscrupulously to upgrade it to a P/O badge and increase it's collector value/price??? OR it is indeed a fake.

I might be way off, but the general appearance of the obverse, the hardware (ignoring the gilt), the maker mark and rivets look like they could be good to me, but an adulterated Pilot badge or genuine P/O is under question IMO. That gold pin just ain't right when I look again... On the other hand I'm getting carried away, and it's an out and out fake. Lol! I look forward to other replies.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

So...that gold color Is real then! I thought my eyes were just seeing a trick of the flash lighting! It looks odd-especially so on the Obverse.
    Last edited by Wagriff; 08-07-2016 at 03:07 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I sure appreciate all the feedback and will take some better photos and post them when I'm able.
    Jim

I would add that of all the badges in this collection I bought at an estate sale in Florida (all were collected in Germany by a man who served in the Wehrmacht and moved to Florida after the war) the Luftwaffe Pilot-Observer badge is the most striking in that it really looks like a fine piece of jewelry. I will take some better photos ASAP.
    Thanks again for the feedback.
    Jim