Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

German Cross in Gold

Article about: Have been offered this DKiG, I'm new at this and don't know anything about what to watch out for. I have attached photos: The DKiG is said to be: a number 134, Otto Klein Any comments or rec

CTUrk3
    ?

Default German Cross in Gold

Have been offered this DKiG, I'm new at this and don't know anything about what to watch out for. I have attached photos:

The DKiG is said to be:

a number 134, Otto Klein

Any comments or recommendations?
    Attached Images Attached Images German Cross in Gold  German Cross in Gold  German Cross in Gold 

2. # ADS

Default Re: German Cross in Gold

looks fine to me,,#134 for Otto Klein & Co.,Hanau,,

From my research on this beautiful medal I would say its a good one too

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

I don't know much about these beauties but it's looking good so far. You might just want to check out the pin/hinge combination compared to others but I'm fairly sure it's right.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

It's a good one

I think maybe the bottom hinge has been re-soldered.

CTUrk3
    ?

Thank you for your replies, someone else mentioned the hinge as well as saying the 'rivets don't look right" any thoughts?

I'm pretty new at this stuff too, but I would say it's undeniably authentic, so you don't have to worry about that. The tarnish on the back seems to make that indisputable. As was said before, it looks like possibly the bottom hinge was reattached (there's a kind of suspect lightness around it) but I wouldn't let something that small keep me from getting it.

May I ask how much is being offered for it? The German Cross is a beautiful medal, but out of my price range at any quality of condition, unfortunately.

?

Quote by locloc08 View Post
    The tarnish on the back seems to make that indisputable.
    Tarnish can be faked in minutes and should not be used to determine authenticity. Alternatively, a fake produced 10 or 20 years ago will show natural tarnish by now, doesn't make the item real!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by AdrianC View Post
    Tarnish can be faked in minutes and should not be used to determine authenticity. Alternatively, a fake produced 10 or 20 years ago will show natural tarnish by now, doesn't make the item real!
    Very good point. It certainly does not look like tarnish faked in minutes to me; I've seen chemical and steel wool jobs, though it could very well be an "old fake" like you say. If that is a fake, it has to be commended for being a very, very well made one. It is probably worth a little something in its own right if its that well done.

Looks to be a good DKiG. Stewy S