MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German veteran's items given to me.

Article about: ISA's a SHuCo design. It looks like it may have a bit of "zinc pest". So i advise giving it a coating of vaseline to arrest the "zinc pest". Stewy

Default German veteran's items given to me.

Hello guys

As we all do, I have informed some co-workers of my new collecting hobby, and today it came to fruition. I was given these items by a co-worker and he said his neighbor was a former German soldier. Upon hearing of my interests, my friend spoke with him and was given these items to give to me. I am planning a meeting with this 90 year old gentleman to have some conversation. I was told the vet was a camp guard, at some point. Unknown what kind of camp, as he didn't want to speak of it. These are the items he was issued/awarded. There may be more but I don't know that yet. Infantry badge, sports achievement award, Sgt. chevrons, life saving award, battallion and company patch, shoulder boards, and an 1890's money pouch that belonged to the grandfather of the vet that he carried in WW1. I plan to make a nice display for these items with the veteran's name and have it in my display case. I haven't seen these shoulder boards before and am looking for information on them if you may have any. They are WW1, and grandads? Please enjoy the pics and I will post the conversation I have with this man, if he allows it.
    German veteran's items given to me.German veteran's items given to me.German veteran's items given to me.German veteran's items given to me.German veteran's items given to me.German veteran's items given to me.German veteran's items given to me.German veteran's items given to me.German veteran's items given to me.German veteran's items given to me.German veteran's items given to me.
    Greenhorn
    Last edited by Greenhorn; 11-24-2011 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Blasted typo!
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German veteran's items given to me.
    P
    Many

Default Re: German veteran's items given to me.

Very nice items, Greenhorn. Good idea about displaying them !

I had a similar pouch given to me 40+ years ago much like this
    one - it was stuffed full of WWII era German coins.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Most excellent, Walkwolf!

I had to look, no coins. LOL I plan to make a cuff title with this man's name printed on it for the display. Should like very appropriate!

Thanks for your reply
    Last edited by Greenhorn; 11-25-2011 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Dang typo!
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

KSH
    ?

Those shoulder boards are reminiscent of the Fahnenjunker shoulder boards of the Wehrmacht - but I'm not sure what they are. The chevron however is not for a Sergeant - but for an Obergefreiter which is actually an enlisted rank below the German equivalent of the US/British corporal - Unteroffizier in German. You have probably been reading some rank list trying to directly equate German ranks with British/US ranks. That just doesn't work. In practice the Germans had six (!) enlisted ranks (excluding NCO/Officer-cadet ranks). An Obergefreiter is not even the top enlisted rank.

- Kenneth

?

Nice Konvolt

great.lucky you

?

Nice grouping.

The shoulder boards are from the 3rd pattern (1942-1945) series of Reichsarbeitsdienst (RAD) rank insignia. They are for the rank of Obervormann (volunteer). [A non-volunteer Obervormann had just the pip without the double twist cords at the base.)

The "172/7" sleeve spade is also an RAD unit insigne identifying the 7th Abteilung of the 172nd Gruppe.

?

Greenhorn, you have been blessed with marvellous fortune. That is a super collection, and a great way to receive it too. I hope that you will "look after" both the veteran and your friend of course.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Great work HPL (as ever!)

?

Very nice ! Awesome additions !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast