Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

GWL Beobachterabzeichen.

Article about: Hello, I was pretty sure this badge was good but after some research, mainly comparing the maker mark, the GWL seems to not represent the types that I have found. Can anyone help?

G43
    ?

Default GWL Beobachterabzeichen.

Hello, I was pretty sure this badge was good but after some research, mainly comparing the maker mark, the GWL seems to not represent the types that I have found. Can anyone help?GWL Beobachterabzeichen.GWL Beobachterabzeichen.GWL Beobachterabzeichen.
    Last edited by Adrian; 02-27-2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement GWL Beobachterabzeichen.
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: GWL Beobachterabzeichen.

My observations are very soft details on the eagle and wreath, not what you expect from a GWL badge, the feathers and eagle's legs are normally well detailed. The trimming outlines are wrong too.

On the back, the hinge and catch are wrong compared to the badges I've just compared too, the rivets are also unlike anything by GWL and the wreath again has a poor outline and with a strange indentation on the right side.

Overall I would say the badge is a fake and that's not including the makers mark.......

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

In my opinion a one look fake i'm afraid,the reverse hardware is wrong and the rivets are very sloppy,GWL is a good maker and this would just never do.As Adrian has pointed out the details are much to soft on the obverse,give this one a miss my friend. Leon. P.S. you can even see some pitting on the bottom of the swastika from where the cast was not filled evenly with the molten metal!

In my opinion, GWL badges represented the pinnacle of German badge manufacturing and are second to none in quality and detailing. The badge shown here is Extremely soft in all detailing, but on the eagle and the left hand side leaves of the wreath in particular. The rivets also do not match up with period examples. I would have to say that this badge is not authentic or original.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

G43
    ?

Thank you all. I am not as familiar with GWL as I should be. I thought possibly the rivets were a war time repair? I missed all of the points you all brought up. The maker mark is what prompted me to post this badge. I compared it with known originals and did not match up. Thanks to you guys I will know more so what to look for next time.

?

Sometimes rivets are repaired or tightened by being hammered which can be misleading but not in this case.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

This badge is actually a fake of a very good fake IMO! A few years ago a new one appeared on the market that was made of Cupal and Aluminium, same peined rivets, but the eagle was a lot better detailed than this one which as Adrian says has loads of issues, and the GWL maker mark has exactly the same flaw on the outer circle at the 8 o'clock position as the better original fake. Pre t'internet quite a few folks got bit.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

G43
    ?

Thank you ned