Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

hello all, could anyone tell me if a wound badge is not magnetic does it mean its a repro?

Article about: thinking of buying one from someone and i wanted to double check before i make an agreement thanks in advance.

Default hello all, could anyone tell me if a wound badge is not magnetic does it mean its a repro?

thinking of buying one from someone and i wanted to double check before i make an agreement
    thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement hello all, could anyone tell me if a wound badge is not magnetic does it mean its a repro?
    P
    Many

Default Re: hello all, could anyone tell me if a wound badge is not magnetic does it mean its a repro?

Non-magnetic wound badges are common.

Default Re: hello all, could anyone tell me if a wound badge is not magnetic does it mean its a repro?

Of course not! Black wound badges were often made of brass so how can they be magnetic? Better post some pics here before You are going to buy it.

?

Originals can be non magnetic, fakes can be non magnetic. This isn't a good way of determining authenticity of an item, photos are much better if you can post any?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Rarely are wounds badgs magnetic. Your thinking of an Iron Cross, or EK2 where the core is magnetic because of the iron. Hope this helps

As Adrian suggests, photos are really much better.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Kinda tough to give any sort of advice if we can't at least see it...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

What grade of Wound Badge are you referring to ? If its Black, early examples were in Brass, and later ones in Steel. For Silver and Gold grades early pieces were in Tombak, later ones in Zinc, so the only WBs likely to be magnetic are late examples of the Black grade. Whether its magnetic or not won't give any hint as to whether or not its original.

If its black, its probably true that most modern copies are in brass as its a cheap material and easier to work with than steel. But as already pointed out, loads (hundreds of thousands at least) of originals were in brass too.