Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with identification of EK2 and Ostmedaille....

Article about: Hello all! These are the two medals I have in my modest collection. Are they real? Can anyone help with any additional information on them? THANK YOU! I like the patina on my EK2... it has &

Default Help with identification of EK2 and Ostmedaille....

Hello all!

These are the two medals I have in my modest collection. Are they real? Can anyone help with any additional information on them?

THANK YOU!

I like the patina on my EK2... it has "been there, seen that" look to it. My camera made it look greener than it actually is...

I hope my "frozen meat medal" is authentic... aren't the helmet and edge of the metal supposed to be shiny?

I don't see any maker marks on either of my medals.
    Last edited by Adrian; 06-08-2011 at 07:28 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with identification of EK2 and Ostmedaille....
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help with identification of EK2 and "Frozen Meat Medal"

first one is the Iron Cross ,2nd class, next one is the Russian Front medal,,,both good starter medals and yes they are authentic

?

Default Re: Help with identification of EK2 and Ostmedaille....

Hello and welcome and thank you for posting your medals.
    As Robert says above, both are good, original examples. The EK2 might be a 'standard' type, the frames look like they could Steinhauer & Luck made. Several makers used this type of frame so impossible to say where crosses like the above came from unless they are marked. The iron core has suffered a certain amount of deterioration as you can see by the rust spots and the 'spidering' under the paint, the thin vein like marks. Try and keep it in as stable an environment as possible, away from humidity which will make the problem worse.
    The Ostmedaille should have a silver edge and helmet and once did but because the medal is made of zinc, the finish has been absorbed into the metal over time. Still a good medal though!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    The iron core has suffered a certain amount of deterioration as you can see by the rust spots and the 'spidering' under the paint, the thin vein like marks. Try and keep it in as stable an environment as possible, away from humidity which will make the problem worse.
    Thank you very much for the information!

The vendor who I bought the medal from suggested I apply some sort of oil or wax to the EK2 to help preserve it. Would you suggest that?

I paid $125 for the EK2. Was that a fair price?

?

I would personally leave the core as it is, rubbing wax or oil on it might lead to the paint flaking off as you apply it. Afterwards it will look greasy and shiny, not good. That in turn will attract dust which will stick and then you get a new problem...........
    Leave it be and just keep it so it doesn't get any worse.

In terms of value I feel you paid top end for an unmarked cross in this condition, they can be found cheaper and often in better condition

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Two good original medals!

Adrian is right leave her be and keep the old girl in the right conditions

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Both medals came in boxes with glass windows that are held shut by needles on either side. I'm assuming I should keep them in those boxes?

I must admit I'm a little disappointed... At the Reading airshow/ reenactment weekend I searched the militaria flea market and was sort of scared to buy an EK2 from some of the people set up under tents there.

I decided to buy from a man who had set up in the main hanger of the airport there. He had an official looking setup and even gave me a business card. (I don't really want to ruin the mans reputation, so I won't post his information unless you guys think that is necessary.) He refused to go down on the price at all, too. He did admit that the EK2 had some wear to it... but he said applying wax or oil would stop it from being damaged any further. He said that the medal was well worn and he also mentioned that it had a nice patina. He stated that the EK was one of / if not the most famous medal in the world... so he defended his price. I didn't know any better...

I hate to ask, but would anyone be able to tell me how much each of my medals is worth?

you can always pay retail,,,being mindful of your wallet, i would suggest you always negotiate a price before purchase,,,i would value your ek at $90-$125 and the RF at about $65 with consideration to condition to both medals,,,,

Quote by militarymania View Post
    i would suggest you always negotiate a price before purchase.
    I tried! Unfortunately, I think the man knew that I didn't know anything about EK2s so he refused to go down.

well you can try again next time to get a better price,but you should be prepared to walk away from the deal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast