Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying Ostmedaille and another unidentified piece - are they authentic?

Article about: I'm quite new to relics. Found these in a collection of my dad's (with his old boy scout medals and badges) so I don't know the provenance of them. I've been able to identify the first piece

Default Help identifying Ostmedaille and another unidentified piece - are they authentic?

I'm quite new to relics. Found these in a collection of my dad's (with his old boy scout medals and badges) so I don't know the provenance of them.

I've been able to identify the first piece as an Ostmedaille but is it authentic? The ribbon looks to be in remarkable condition which immediately makes me suspicious. The ring also appears to be much "newer" than the medal itself. I also note that I don't see much evidence of the small "button" or "rivet" on the helmet that I see in other pix of this medal (I can barely see it on the back side and its almost nonexistent on the front). Is this the real thing?

Help identifying Ostmedaille and another unidentified piece - are they authentic?

The second piece I'm stumped on. I don't know what it is (e.g., what its function is, or what it's called). The metal is somewhat soft, and I don't see any makers markings on it anywhere. What is this piece, and is it authentic? If the latter, what kind of value might it have?

Thanks for your feedback!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help identifying Ostmedaille and another unidentified piece - are they authentic?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help identifying Ostmedaille and another unidentified piece - are they authentic?

Hello GladiusA and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid the Ostmedaille is a crude fake as you suspected. It is of extremely poor detail and th flaws are quite obvious when compared to an original item. Please take a look here for more info on this medal Reproduction Eastern Front Medals - R.M.Militaria

The second item is also a fake item for me. I think it might be trying to be an army officer's belt buckle but it is definately a bad attempt in my opinion. I believe all these types of buckle had hollow backs. You say the metal is quite soft, which leads me to think it is lead and the reverse definately points towards this.

Hope this helps.

Default Re: Help identifying Ostmedaille and another unidentified piece - are they authentic?

Hi Gladius, nice to have you here ! I agree the Ostmedal clearly lacks detail.

By the way I would love to see your Dads Boy Scout badges!!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thanks, this confirms my suspicions. If anyone has specific knowledge of the second item I would still be interested to know specifically what it is.

R M, from your site it appears that an authentica Ostmedaille would have some kind of stamp/number on the ring (if it were the original ring?)

?

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting.
    I can only agree with the above comments, the Ostmedaille looks very much like a fake with soft features. The ribbon is also a reproduction.
    Not all Ostmedailles were stamped on the ring. You can find originals marked and unmarked as well as marked/unmarked fakes.

I have no idea what the second item is or what it might be as I have never seen anything like it before.

The second item is as already stated a fake of a Heer Officer's belt buckle.

Cheers, Ade.

Thank you guys very much!