Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Identification of odd medal - Legion Condor related?

Article about: I've been trying to identify this medal, and the closest I can find is it being a Spanish Grand Merit for aeronautical endeavors or a Spanish award for Germans of a similar type from the Leg

Default Identification of odd medal - Legion Condor related?

I've been trying to identify this medal, and the closest I can find is it being a Spanish Grand Merit for aeronautical endeavors or a Spanish award for Germans of a similar type from the Legion Condor. But, neither seem to be a match, and I can't find any merits of this type where the lower lion is facing the cross. All merits I'm finding have both lions facing to the left. Any ideas as to what this might be?

Scott

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identification of odd medal - Legion Condor related?
    P
    Many

Ah ha! I think I found it as a Spanish Grand Cross of the Order of Aeronautical Merit. I guess I just needed to make a thread, and the solution would finally present itself.

Established in 1949 with only white badge, inialmente organized into three categories: Grand Cross (plate, strip and scallop), Cross 2nd class (plate), Cross 1st class (Breast Cross), and Silver Cross for troops . In 1961 the regulations were amended adding 3rd class category (plate).

Grand Cross of Merit Aviation (MA) distinctive white, issued from 1949 to 1975. It's early model. Bursts of gold plate, polished, with eight points, on this Cross, enameled in white, upper arm rectangle gold, between arms with castles and lions in silver. Round center shield with imperial crown, castles and lions, Granada in center on blue background (No lilies), flanked by golden wings. Silver and enamels.

Hi Scott,

Having a look around it appears that this order was amended in 1976 for the first time since it's inception in 1949. It was re-amended again in 1995, 2003 and 2007. Here's one the same as yours regarding both the lions facing inwards to the cross and is dated 1949 according to the text. It's about half way down the page:

Emering:Medals of Spain, Royal Orders

Another link in Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosse...nautical_Merit

The reason for the difference compared to the later ones I don't know, but King Juan Carlos became King on 22nd of November 1975, two days after Franco died, so perhaps it's linked to his accession???

I'm sure someone else here will have the gen and chime in about that.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for the additional info Ned! I was wondering what they were awarded for...

Curious thing, this was in the collection of a US Officer...

its very nice.