Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch

Article about: Hi guys, today i get my first Kriegsmarine Minensucher Badge. Iam not a expert on this stuff so it would be nice to hear your opinions.

Default Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch

Hi guys,

today i get my first Kriegsmarine Minensucher Badge.

Iam not a expert on this stuff so it would be nice to hear your opinions.
    Last edited by rbminis; 04-11-2015 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch
    P
    Many

I think it's O.K., but hopefully Norm F will see this and chime in as he has investigated all the variants of the RK Minensucher in a superbly in depth and photographed study that isn't short of breath taking in it's detail of the various minutely different types, around 10 in all if I recall.

It's a labour of love for sure and it would be great if he were to share it here.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Hi nico2003,

Great badge. I saw that one on M-B and knew someone would get a good deal on a nice zincer in uncommonly fine condition.

Like Ned says, there are 10 variants of R.K. Minesweeper -- 3 Tombak and 7 zinc -- based upon variations in the maker mark and the locations of the cast-in hardware. Yours is MC# 3.1.6 with the "Level 5" maker mark; this variant has a slightly concave reverse to the water column and visible ridges seen on the reverse along the left border and the top border of the eagle's wings. Although not a rare badge, they're hard to find in such fine condition as yours.

Attached here for comparison is my example of the same sub-type and also for reference some compilations showing all the variations. The eight "levels" are defined by the location of the maker mark on the reverse, not the hinge. Also, the first 6 variants have 8 horizontal waves visible below the water column while the last 4 have 9 waves (illustrated in the last attachment). Of course, most collectors don't care which variant they have in the their collection, but understanding the features of all the variations also helps to identify fakes when they crop up.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch   Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch  

Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch   Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch  

Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch   Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch  

?

BTW, all the variants can be seen on the RK page of my reference website.

You'll often hear "RK" referred to as Rudolf A. Karneth & Sohn, from Gablonz a.d. Neisse; it could very well be he but so far definitive proof is lacking, and Robert Kreisel is another possibility. Regardless, RK was certainly a Gablonz maker.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

A great looking award, well done, and as ever a superb explanation from Norm. Leon.

Thanks for your answers and so much Information about these badges.

a very nice badge.