Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

View Poll Results: Is it KM or LW cloth DKiG?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kriegsmarine

0 0%
  • Luftwaffe

2 100.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Kriegsmarine cloth DKiG for review

Article about: Hello, I have recently bought what was supposed to be a cloth KM Deutsche Kreuz in Gold, but after it came and after I compared it to my previously-owned one I have some doubts that it might

?

And two attributed examples. Same very dark blue backing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine cloth DKiG for review   Kriegsmarine cloth DKiG for review  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine cloth DKiG for review
    P
    Many

Oh, man, I love that one. That's real KM piece.

some very nice examples,thanks to you all.

?

The DKiG in question was mine & here is a photo of it on the left with another kriegs on the right with my lufty in the middle : My Trio of DKig's - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums too me it is a kriegs cross , as in hand this one & my other are so much darker in hand than the lufty

?

The man who has wrote the book on these The German Cross - Detailed item view - B&D Publishing LLC said when i posted it up on WAF Dietrich Maerz : A perfect original Kriegsmarine! Keep it!

Quote by HD1450 View Post
    The Deutsche Kreuz in Gold in question was mine & here is a photo of it on the left with another kriegs on the right with my lufty in the middle : My Trio of Deutsche Kreuz in Gold's - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums too me it is a kriegs cross , as in hand this one & my other are so much darker in hand than the lufty
    Hi Mark,

The cross certainly looks darker in the WAF link compared to the one here where it's on the KM cap, but that's the problem with light used and exposure settings I suppose. TBH, assuming that the two KM ones in the WAF link are as claimed, I have to say that in my opinion they are both a lot lighter than any in the Maerz book i'm looking at now, and they more resemble the Luft colour than the KM colour on the 'table of cloth backing colors' on page 278. But one also has to allow for sun bleaching etc., so it's not as easy a call to make. Afterall, Maerz's advice on confirming if a cross is a KM blue rather than a panzer black, is to compare the colour of the backing cloth to the black colour of the swastika, there is no mention of them being mistaken for Luftwaffe ones.

A bit of a conundrum for me, and i'm not trying to be combative, I would just like to be 100% sure, so I'm going to change my "definitely Luftwaffe" judgement until more evidence hopefully comes to light. As it stands I don't know which pic's are closest, due to the different photographic exposures between the OP's pic's the ones in the WAF link and the ones in Maerz's book.

I would hazard a guess though, upon seeing the reverse of the badge in question, it is a type 2....Is that correct?

A very interesting thread and some excellent examples of crosses, whatever service branch they may be, shown.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Mark,

The cross certainly looks darker in the WAF link compared to the one here where it's on the KM cap, but that's the problem with light used and exposure settings I suppose. TBH, assuming that the two KM ones in the WAF link are as claimed, I have to say that in my opinion they are both a lot lighter than any in the Maerz book i'm looking at now, and they more resemble the Luft colour than the KM colour on the 'table of cloth backing colors' on page 278. But one also has to allow for sun bleaching etc., so it's not as easy a call to make. Afterall, Maerz's advice on confirming if a cross is a KM blue rather than a panzer black, is to compare the colour of the backing cloth to the black colour of the swastika, there is no mention of them being mistaken for Luftwaffe ones.

A bit of a conundrum for me, and i'm not trying to be combative, I would just like to be 100% sure, so I'm going to change my "definitely Luftwaffe" judgement until more evidence hopefully comes to light. As it stands I don't know which pic's are closest, due to the different photographic exposures between the OP's pic's the ones in the WAF link and the ones in Maerz's book.

I would hazard a guess though, upon seeing the reverse of the badge in question, it is a type 2....Is that correct?

A very interesting thread and some excellent examples of crosses, whatever service branch they may be, shown.

Regards, Ned.

Hi Ned , it is a rarer type 1 & an early one as Dietrich says here in post no.12

Help with DGik please - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Quote by HD1450 View Post
    Hi Ned , it is a rarer type 1 & an early one as Dietrich says here in post no.12

Help with DGik please - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
    Ha!

And there's me going on "the typical circular structure" he describes as being noticable on the type 2, oh well.... I should have stuck with my initial guess.

One thing that's good to see though is that in these latest pic's the backing cloth is easily darker than on previous ones, and I can't say anymore than it certainly does appear to be KM on the strength of those superbly done photo's, I'm now convinced!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi!

I am not sure if you are familiar with the navy-blue color of Kriegsmarine uniforms, but on the photo where this DKiG lays on the cap it's clearly visible what the real color of the backing is.
    Look at the shades of all other colors and it's easy to say.

I must say that there is no evidence of KM using this lighter shade. Not in the books, not on the photos.

I will take a good photo tomorrow on a daylight.

I wanted a KM DKiG but when I got it in hand, it's just not KM color. I don't know about LW
    but I have done my homework on KM cloth and shades, and this does not fall in that area at all.

Here is the thread on WAF with much more photos and references:
    Kriegsmarine DKiG question - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast