Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Krim shield

Article about: This Krim shield came from a family member of veteran Adolf Neimke. I have never handled one before and would appreciate feedback. I looked up info on it and I am still puzzled by some detai

Default Krim shield

This Krim shield came from a family member of veteran Adolf Neimke. I have never handled one before and would appreciate feedback. I looked up info on it and I am still puzzled by some details. It has six cities stamped into the face - one is hard to see. The face is magnetic - back is not. NH

Krim shieldKrim shieldKrim shield

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Krim shield
    P
    Many

Hi Neil,

The shield was known until just under a year ago as one by an unknown maker, but a recent horde find from a tailors shop has contained a couple of them in LDO cellophane packets marked L/59. The other awards found with them were also made by the firm of Alois Rettenmaier, so this proved that they were the maker of this shield. It seems they were not supplied with any backing cloth.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned, Interesting. I cannot find any markings but this is how the family said it has always been - without backing cloth.
    I don't think it was ever worn since Adolf Neimke was badly wounded and survived the war with a deformed right arm.
    I am guessing he received the wound in the Crimea area. Still waiting on more family history. Thanks. NH

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    Ned, Interesting. I cannot find any markings but this is how the family said it has always been - without backing cloth.
    I don't think it was ever worn since Adolf Neimke was badly wounded and survived the war with a deformed right arm.
    I am guessing he received the wound in the Crimea area. Still waiting on more family history. Thanks. NH
    Hi Neil,

You won't find any markings on this shield, that's why it was an 'unknown maker' until recently when the actual LDO number was discovered due to the box of awards being from the Rettenmaier company. There's a very high probability that it was never actually worn by your man because each awardee received at least 3 to 5 examples to wear on their various uniforms. Being wounded was one of the criteria for the bestowal of the shield, the others were participating in at least one battle, or being stationed for at least 3 months without interruption on the Krim peninsula south of the Genitschefk-Sikowo-Perekop line.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Good badge, Good Ned. Leon.

good all round.

Thanks fellas! Very exciting to get a free original like this one. I plan to keep it all together as awards given to Adolf Neimke. I will add some history as well along with a small boxed display. Thanks for all the input. NH