Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Kubanschild

Article about: I just want to post this Kuban Shield I've had for a long time. It has some wear on it, and looks to have been issued. Opinions and comments are welcome. Thanks, Rob.

?

Default Kubanschild

I just want to post this Kuban Shield I've had for a long time. It has some wear on it, and looks to have been issued. Opinions and comments are welcome. Thanks, Rob.

KubanschildKubanschildKubanschildKubanschild

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kubanschild
    P
    Many

Looks a good one to me mate! Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Looks a good one to me mate! Leon.
    Hi Leon,

In your opinion what type is it, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3 or 5.4?? They can't be type 5.5, 5.6 or 5.7 as they have prongs not tabs, but all are very similar as are some of the fakes.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned, I could not say about it in that kind of detail. All I look out for on these shields is the shape of the "triangle" in the A of Kuban, and the level of "3" in relation to the "4" in the 1943. That usually tells me if it is good or bad, but as you say, there are some good fakes out there. Personally I think this one is ok, but I am always willing to learn something new. Leon.

Hi Leon,

When commenting on these it's important to know exactly what you're looking at. The potential monetary loss is not insubstantial to the buyer who goes on a short and vague "I like it", "Looks good to me" or whatever from someone else, however well meaning. The fakes are getting better and better by the week these days, it's a massive business, and one needs to be able to keep up to date as best as one can. Then there's the "parts" or "Frankenstein" pieces to contend with, it's never ending.

Please don't think i'm breaking your balls over this Leon, there's lots do it, but it's happening an awful lot here where unsubstantiated opinions are freely bandied about where perhaps a little explanation as to what makes one think the item is genuine or bogus could save a collector money if considering purchasing an item, or alerting them to the (often unpalatable) fact that an expensive piece they already own is bogus itself. Maybe it's just me, I don't want to be a killjoy and i'm sorry if this upsets you and others here, but I feel strongly that this needs addressing.

The shield is a genuine type 5.1 by an unknown maker.

Absit Invidia, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I can only agree with Ned's comment and have made mistakes myself in the past. Fortunately I have been corrected in time.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Thanks for your opinions, guys. I was pretty sure this was a good one. It's good to get confirmation, I know that the fakes look pretty good.
    I have a Krimschild, I'll try to post tomorrow for review. Thanks again, Rob.

I see your point Ned, I should have elaborated on why "I" felt it was a good on, even though my reasons were not the detailed experience of yourself, I am glad that I was not "misleading" anyone with my genuine appraisal! I will try and remember to give a more detailed explanation in the future but as this was already a pre-owned piece and not a "potential buy" I was lazy!! Also , sorry for my "late" reply, I have been in London with the wife for a couple of days, Leon.