Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kubanschild

Article about: Picked this one up with the party badge yesterday as well. This one in hand looked genuine as could be. Great details and good age. Looking at other Kuban shield, I am fairly confident that

?

Default Kubanschild

Picked this one up with the party badge yesterday as well. This one in hand looked genuine as could be. Great details and good age. Looking at other Kuban shield, I am fairly confident that it is a good one, but opinions of more knowledgeable collectors is always good. Also (if a good one) I would like to know who the maker might be.

Thanks for any and all help,
    Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kubanschild   Kubanschild  

Kubanschild   Kubanschild  

Kubanschild  
    Last edited by rbminis; 03-14-2015 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Edited title to use correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kubanschild
    P
    Many

Hi Jim,

I'm not keen on this one, IMO it's a copy of the unknown maker type 5.5 but the overall finish is very soft and the letters spelling Kuban are far too rounded at the corners (the 'A' is way off). The smaller letters also don't match. On the reverse side the prongs are of a type I've never seen before and don't correspond with any shield of any type I know. It would be interesting to know if the shield is magnetic or not.

Here's an original 5.5 for comparison.

KubanschildKubanschildKubanschildKubanschild

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I am inclined to agree with Ned.
    Poor details.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

It is non-magnetic. If not real, I will have been truly fooled, as the smallest details in the wreath and eagle are very strong.

Thanks, so far,

Jim

Quote by Jim P View Post
    It is non-magnetic. If not real, I will have been truly fooled, as the smallest details in the wreath and eagle are very strong.

Thanks, so far,

Jim
    You have been truly fooled then I'm afraid Jim as this 5.5 type shield was ONLY ever produced in bronze coated sheet steel. Sorry old son, but that's unequivocal.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hello Jim,
    everything has been said before except have you looked at the length of the beak. It's more like a 'humming bird'. If this fake hasn't been named before that's what it should be called.

Look at the pins on the back.
    I was always taught that if it had a double length to each of the pins put it back.
    Most original examples as far as I am aware only ever had a single pin that is bent over to retain the backplate or the examples that have the side tabs.

I learned the hard way.

All the best
    Doug

Quote by Saladin View Post
    Hello Jim,
    everything has been said before except have you looked at the length of the beak. It's more like a 'humming bird'. If this fake hasn't been named before that's what it should be called.

Look at the pins on the back.
    I was always taught that if it had a double length to each of the pins put it back.
    Most original examples as far as I am aware only ever had a single pin that is bent over to retain the backplate or the examples that have the side tabs.

I learned the hard way.

All the best
    Doug
    Well spotted on the double pins Doug!
    I think it looks like "Gonzo" on the muppets.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Well spotted on the double pins Doug!
    I think it looks like "Gonzo" on the muppets.
    Ralph.
    The original badge above is also a ringer for the purple trumpet player(), and I'm also pleased to note that someone else agrees with me regarding the odd looking securing pins/prongs.....

Regards, Ned.

no doubt about it a bad one.from the 70s 80s.

Quote by big ned View Post
    The original badge above is also a ringer for the purple trumpet player(), and I'm also pleased to note that someone else agrees with me regarding the odd looking securing pins/prongs.....

Regards, Ned.
    Albeit after the event I am in total agreement as well. I actually thought I had posted here but hadn't pressed the post reply button !

It was the split prongs that caught my eye first which remind me of the style used in many modern soviet / Russian badges and although the eagles beak on some of these is very pronounced this one looks like an armadillo!

(one animal in the jungle said to the other "why the long face?". The other replied "because I'm a f***ing anteater ).

You nailed it first Ned. This is not right.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast