Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Kubanschild

Article about: Picked this one up with the party badge yesterday as well. This one in hand looked genuine as could be. Great details and good age. Looking at other Kuban shield, I am fairly confident that

?

"Can't win em all", as they say. I normally never buy outside my comfort zone (bayonets), without doing some research on the item 1st. But, this was one of those, in person, here it is, do you want it or not, kinda deals. Guy bought a bunch of little items at auction and wanted to know if I was interested in any of it. It came with a lot of tinnies and original photo's, the details looked really good to me as a novice in this area, so I rolled the dice. Not much money, so I'll have to chalk this one up to lesson learned.

Thanks for all the help,

Jim

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kubanschild
    P
    Many

Quote by big ned View Post
    You have been truly fooled then I'm afraid Jim as this 5.5 type shield was ONLY ever produced in bronze coated sheet steel. Sorry old son, but that's unequivocal.

Regards, Ned.
    Hi Ned do you happen to know how many known types of this award exist.
    great advice giving out again. better luck next time Jim.
    Thanks
    Rod

Quote by plumbob View Post
    Hi Ned do you happen to know how many known types of this award exist.
    great advice giving out again. better luck next time Jim.
    Thanks
    Rod
    Hi Rod,

I don't think there's a way of knowing how many of these shields were awarded or existed. They were awarded to participants of the defence of the Kuban bridgeheads from February 1943 until October that year. As with other campaign shields that were issued throughout the war, the recipient was entitled to 5 copies of the shield and more could be privately purchased on production of the award certificate at LDO approved suppliers. In the case of the recipient being awarded it posthumously, then only 1 shield and a certificate was presented to the next of kin. The shield was originally instituted on the 21st of September 1943, and it's thought that the entire production may have lasted for up to a year and a half, but this has not been proven so far as I know.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned for taking the time to answer.
    I have read somewhere that there were several makers of this award and was wondering if it there was a way to known how many different dies were used between these makers. Probably a impossible question to answer. No worries.
    It’s just that I have two of these. One of which I have read on here by yourself to another member is a type 5.1 by an unknown maker which has a couple of obvious die flaws.
    The other I think is also from another unknown maker.
    Both magnetic.
    It was just out of interest I asked.
    Thanks again and hope you are well.
    Rod

Quote by plumbob View Post
    Thanks Ned for taking the time to answer.
    I have read somewhere that there were several makers of this award and was wondering if it there was a way to known how many different dies were used between these makers. Probably a impossible question to answer. No worries.
    It’s just that I have two of these. One of which I have read on here by yourself to another member is a type 5.1 by an unknown maker which has a couple of obvious die flaws.
    The other I think is also from another unknown maker.
    Both magnetic.
    It was just out of interest I asked.
    Thanks again and hope you are well.
    Rod
    Hi Rod,

There are currently 7 Kuban shield types from 5.1 through to 5.7 that are supposed to be by different makers but only one type, the 5.6 has been definitely linked to a known manufacturer. That is Karl Wurster K.G. of Markneukirchen who were also known manufacturers of the Krim and Demjansk shields, these are generally stamped on the reverse side with the KWM in circle logo and have the easily recognisable crinckled black 'leatherette' type backing paper.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks mate for your answer and information. you know your stuff.
    I've noticed that paper type on some which have been posted and had the thumbs up.
    thanks again
    Rod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2