Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Kubanschild by Wurster

Article about: The only maker of the Kuban known to have made them in Zinc. Very sharp and nicely detailed shields, but the backing cloths can be tricky. The first one here, with most of its bronze finish

?

Default Kubanschild by Wurster

The only maker of the Kuban known to have made them in Zinc. Very sharp and nicely detailed shields, but the backing cloths can be tricky. The first one here, with most of its bronze finish missing was bought as a Panzer example. Thought no more about it.

Then, I picked up the second one, more of its finish intact, as a Kriegsmarine version.

Only when I had them both in hand and could compare them next to each other, it was clear they were both exactly the same colour, and both were Kriegsmarine. A much, much darker blue than by KM Krim shield and easy to think the backing was black.
    When looked at outside in natural dayight compared to a definite Panzer backed Krim, the colour is clearly a very dark blue.

Not complaining at having two rare KM Kubans, but I'm sure there are others out there than think they have a Wurster Panzer Kuban when its actually a KM example.

These shots were taken outdoors. In artificial indoor light they really do look black.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kubanschild by Wurster   Kubanschild by Wurster  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kubanschild by Wurster
    P
    Many

?

Indoors in artificial light, next to a Panzer Krim, easily confused as a Panzer Kuban.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kubanschild by Wurster  

Thank you for posting Gordon!
    I almost bought a Panzer DKIS until I asked for a photo of it beside another black object, it turned out to be a KM one.
    Some of the backings are very difficult to tell their true color from photos.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Beautiful Kuban shields. Thank you for sharing them. They are both really wonderful examples.

Best regards,
    Franko

?

For me, Wurster Kubans have the crispest detail but sadly the Zinc shields tend to lose thier finish rather badly. This , sadly unknown maker, shield has imo the best finish though -deep bronze with burnished highhlights, though a mint Wurster with all its finish intact would be superb.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kubanschild by Wurster  

Quote by Redcap View Post
    For me, Wurster Kubans have the crispest detail but sadly the Zinc shields tend to lose thier finish rather badly. This , sadly unknown maker, shield has imo the best finish though -deep bronze with burnished highhlights, though a mint Wurster with all its finish intact would be superb.
    Very nice Kuban shield you got there. For the Wurster Kuban shield, does it shows any particular unique design features vs other makers?

Thanks
    /Jonas

?

The main thing with the Wurster shield is that it is in Zinc, all other makers are steel , so are magnetic. If you get a Kuban in Zinc, - assuming it matches the design of the ones shown above - its by Wurster. Also Wursters tend to have a distinctive backing of black calico material

?

Worth mentioning perhaps is that the use of black Calico for backing is a Wurster trait. They used it on their Krim shield too.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kubanschild by Wurster   Kubanschild by Wurster  

Many thanks for the info

/Jonas