Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lappland shield

Article about: Hi folks,i've been after one for a while & i found this. These are always a dodgy wicket,but i had someone (thanks Kris) cast an expert eye over it & from his info i'm fairly certain

Default Lappland shield

Hi folks,i've been after one for a while & i found this. These are always a dodgy wicket,but i had someone (thanks Kris) cast an expert eye over it & from his info i'm fairly certain it's a period manufactured piece. Stewy S
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lappland shield   Lappland shield  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lappland shield
    P
    Many

Default Re: Lappland shield

Congrats Mate...I know you were after one...

Best Regards, fischer

?

Stewy was this a field made badge?

Congratulations with your new aquirement, Stewy.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Hi there,all L/Land shields (the proper period ones) were made in POW camps out of what was available,zinc,leather,alu etc. That's why they don't feature a Swaz. Prisoners were allowed to make them by the camp commanders,as the Brits thought the Germans may come in handy against the Russians. As the knew trouble was brewing,as in the Iron Curtain. Stewy S

?

Stewy that is very cool did they make others for different POW camps

There are several variants,all "handmade". The most accepted variant's known as the "soap dish" Lappland shield. I think you can safely say that certain variants varied from camp to camp & a lot depended on materials available & the prowess on those who made them for their POW friends. The "soapdish" type is the finest type i've seen apart from one other type that belongs to a serious collector of Geb. stuff. Stewy S

A good find Stewy..and some really good stories behind them!

Thanks for sharing

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thanks Nick. At best authenticiy of these is dubious at best. This one does lend itself to quite a few good points. But it's up to the individual to make up their own mind. Oh yeah Nick,got the rest of those pics & that i told you about. Still sifting through it all. Stewy S

Thanks Stewy. I hope it proves good!

No rush but I look forward to them

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast