Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Lorient shield - opinions please

Article about: I am not an expert on German shields and am looking for some help to determine its authenticity, if anybody can help. I was given this shield with an EK Class 2 from WW1 many years ago.

Madziro
    ?

Gents, Thanks very much for your opinions and advice, all most useful. This shield was given to me by a colleague who had absolutely no idea about it at all. I continue to learn all the time!

2. # ADS

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Not sure if i've ever seen a genuine Lorient shield but this one looks a bit naff, the soldier has a face like an inflatable sex doll!...
    which is appropriate given what the Allies were doing to the Germans at the time!

A friend of mine have one original, living on the place, 3 years to find one !

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    A friend of mine have one original, living on the place, 3 years to find one !
    Pictures please.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I have no pictures.
    Why ? because the shields were made in one place, and are similar with a defect. If we have the picture, the counterfeiters can make perfect copies !

Of course, how remiss of me....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    I have no pictures.
    Why ? because the shields were made in one place, and are similar with a defect. If we have the picture, the counterfeiters can make perfect copies !
    So why do any of us post our pieces?

What evidence is there that your friend's shield is original?
    How does he know it isn't one of a bunch of fakes, all made in the 1960s from the same piece of tin?
    How does anyone know what an original looks like?
    How will we ever know if those who own them don't want to share them?

Or perhaps it's a case of the owner convincing himself it's real and doesn't want to hear differently?

A strange way of collecting.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I have to be on the side of Lebus on this,there been other collectors on other forum not showing rare pieces of their collection because of fakers.
    Other collectors seen those items and would agree that the items were 100% .
    one of the items was a M37 DD heer a super rare helmet.
    chris

?

I'm glad not everyone chooses this as a way of collecting or forums like this one would cease to exist.

In the case of the Lorient shield, who knows what a 'genuine' one looks like?

Therefore how do the fakers know which one to copy? Why is the owner of this piece so convinced he or she has a genuine piece?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

As Ade says there are plenty more valuable items on show on this forum, as well as other forums. let alone a supposed original Lorient shield IMO. Stewy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2