Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe Flugzeugführerabzeichen With Model Bf 110 Plane

Article about: Hi guys, just sharing a nice set i acquired last summer. I didn't know where to post this set as the items consisting of it are of different categories but i decided to post in the awards se

Default Luftwaffe Flugzeugführerabzeichen With Model Bf 110 Plane

Hi guys, just sharing a nice set i acquired last summer.
    I didn't know where to post this set as the items consisting of it are of different categories but i decided to post in the awards section.

The story goes like this:

The plane belonged to a Luftwaffe veteran named Adolf Schwachenwald, who was also awarded the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold on 01/04/1943. He was part of a bombing "Bf 110" (usually erroneously called as "Me 110") crew.
    He survived the war and either he or someone else made this wooden model for him. He had it on his desk and fit on the base an original Borduhr cockpit watch which gladfully still works until today. Most probably the watch was the one used in the Bf 110 he was serving at. These watches were so valuable that every flight crew was instructed to remove them from the cockpit before abandoning the plane after a crash/failure/forced landing etc.
    The Flugzeugführerabzeichen was also found in a hidden compartment of the vet's desk. I have no idea why he had it hidden. It wasn't awarded to him but it was a gift from a friend who was serving as a pilot with Herr Schwachenwald, in the same unit, KG51.

Now how do i know all these info? This mini grouping was purchased by a friend of mine in Germany directly from the family. He has an advertisement in a newspaper that he is buying/looking for militaria. The vet's daughter called my friend and he went to her house in order to make this purchase. She spoke to him about her father and his unit but unfortunately she couldn't remember the name of the pilot who gave the pilot's badge to her father as a gift. The pilot was often visiting their house after the war and was a good friend with her father. She is too old now and she was about to move to a house for the elder. She had sold the rest of her father stuff a while ago to a known dealer in Germany but after that, she had realized that he didn't make a fair offer to her. So when she found these last items, in August, on her father's desk she decided to respond in newspapers advertisements and that's where my friend fits in the story.
    I tried to search for Herr Adolf Schwachenwald in google but the only thing i could find was this link: World War 2 Awards.com - SCHWACHENWALD, Adolf
    I would like to find some photos of him. The rest of the grouping has already been sold through the dealer's website but anyway i don't think that i could afford them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Flugzeugführerabzeichen With Model Bf 110 Plane   Luftwaffe Flugzeugführerabzeichen With Model Bf 110 Plane  

Luftwaffe Flugzeugführerabzeichen With Model Bf 110 Plane   Luftwaffe Flugzeugführerabzeichen With Model Bf 110 Plane  

Luftwaffe Flugzeugführerabzeichen With Model Bf 110 Plane   Luftwaffe Flugzeugführerabzeichen With Model Bf 110 Plane  

Luftwaffe Flugzeugführerabzeichen With Model Bf 110 Plane  
    Last edited by don_kihotis7; 11-29-2013 at 11:52 PM.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Flugzeugführerabzeichen With Model Bf 110 Plane
    P
    Many

2 more shots of the badge
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Flugzeugführerabzeichen With Model Bf 110 Plane   Luftwaffe Flugzeugführerabzeichen With Model Bf 110 Plane  

The plane and Borduhr watch. You can clearly see the name of the vet written behind the watch.

?

Excellent couple of pieces and made even more sweeter because there is a story behind them. Thank you for showing, these are a great acquisition.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Excellent couple of pieces and made even more sweeter because there is a story behind them. Thank you for showing, these are a great acquisition.
    Thanks mate. Indeed i feel very blessed for this purchase as well. I thank the Lord for his generosity to me.
    My German friend finds amazing items over there. Having connections is a real bonus in this hobby.

great find Chris.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    great find Chris.
    Thanks Harry. Have you seen the photos from Paphos in the "helmet tour" thread?

WOW.Every item with history behind it makes it more interesting.Great luck chris to have such a friend

Quote by herrzark View Post
    WOW.Every item with history behind it makes it more interesting.Great luck chris to have such a friend
    Thanks Nicos