Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe pilot badge (Flugzeugführerabzeichen) Assmann

Article about: Hi there, I can buy this Flugzeugführerabzeichen made by Assmann. Is this an original? Thanks in advance! Willem

Default Luftwaffe pilot badge (Flugzeugführerabzeichen) Assmann

Hi there,

I can buy this Flugzeugführerabzeichen made by Assmann.
    Is this an original?

Thanks in advance!

Willem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe pilot badge (Flugzeugführerabzeichen) Assmann
    P
    Many

I know the pics aren't great...

MAP
    ?

I'm sceptical. Don't have my reference materials to confirm but not liking the hardware and rivets.

In the meantime look at this thread.

Assmann Gemeinsames Flugzeugfuhrer-Beobachter Abzeichen Real or Fake?

Hopefully others will opine before I have time this evening after looking at my materials
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Been spending a bit of time on this one...Unfortunately the photo quality isn't helping.

In reading through the attached link, it is clear that there are concerns over the double marked Assmann awards. So depends what side of the fence you are on regarding wartime made, post war from parts or outright modern fake.

So, from what I think I can see, based on the example in Previtera's book (I have in front of me) and the example in the other thread, it all appears to match up from the reverse (I can't tell anything of the obverse due to photo quality) including the makers mark but with the exception of the rivets. Previtera's book says they should be brass. The example in the other thread however, has rivets that matches up to yours.

So not qualified to say if the non-brass rivets are acceptable or not. Hopefully others can opine so I can learn a bit more myself.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hello Willi,
    what Michael says is true. There was some discussion far back to around 2007 that mentioned the provenance of these double marked badges.

Your pictures aren't good but I like what I see on the reverse. The double zinc rivets that are just flattened are what I would expect to see on these late war badges.

I have some nice double marked Assmann paras that were considered reproductions but are now accepted late war good badges

Here is one Leon posted:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/falls...t=assmann+para

All the best
    Doug

MAP
    ?

Doug,

So the zinc rivets are acceptable? Previtera's book notes that these should have brass rivets but we all know that books are just a point in time and also do not always cover every variation and type (of which Previtera's in guilty of)

The zinc rivets on these late war badges is acceptable Michael IMO.
    When looking at Assmann zinc badges there is the single 'A' marked badge with the same sort of sloppy soldering which I believe have the brass rivets but by the time (I think from January 45 when the LDO were allowed to sell Luftwaffe badges) the double marked badges were produced they were just a zinc rivet.

Have a look at the link with Leon's para badge and you will see what they looked like before they were flattened.

The front picture of the badge that was posted is pretty poor but the back looks fairly convincing.

I thought I had posted a double marked para badge in the past but I can't find it!

All the best
    Doug

MAP
    ?

Doh!!!!!! I forgot. I have one of these as well.....

Too many awards in my collection to remember ....I should have known zinc was ok...but the para rivets are rounded.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/falls...l-64-a-646269/