Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Mandatory German Naming of German Awards on WRF

Article about: Must add here, this is one crazy forum rule! My Folks were ruled once under THE Nasty Nazi jack boot (NL)! Told them German is mandatory and Geeze did I get an ear full!!!! There are living

Polls SHOULD be open to all members BECAUSE some members MIGHT wish to pay, but either do not have the funds?, the time? or engaged in planning a wedding like I am.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mandatory German Naming of German Awards on WRF
    P
    Many

Rene
    Hope your little bird heals.
    Best wishes
    D.

Quote by 24th Panzer Division View Post
    Polls SHOULD be open to all members BECAUSE some members MIGHT wish to pay, but either do not have the funds?, the time? or engaged in planning a wedding like I am.
    Congratulations on the big upcoming day!!!!

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Rene,
    I hope Mo gets back to sitting on shoulders soon.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Congratulations on the big upcoming day!!!!

Marty
    Thank you. My lady if from Cape Town, so English is a 3rd language for her-but she's learning and i'm explaining our terminology most of the time. Anyway, thank you and I am very much looking forward to it. Lucky too-she is a great cook and hates to dine out.

Quote by 24th Panzer Division View Post
    I had to check the calendar when I first saw this to make sure it wasn't April 1st... So let me get this right... you are suggesting that people who make no financial contributions to the running of the forum should be able have a say on how it is run? According to Adrian Stevenson, the current paying members contribute 20% of the actual running costs of the forum, and the non-paying members apparently appear happy for this to continue. The cheapest UK Broadband connection is roughly £180 a year, and annual Forum membership is £20 a year. So are you trying to tell me that you can't afford to pay £20 membership because you are planning a wedding... but you can afford to pay for your broadband connection? I bet you can also find the money for the odd drink and meal too. And incidentally... if you do go through with the wedding, you will be paying through the nose for many years to come!

There is a 16 year-old lad on here who is a fully paid up member, he is still at school, and yet I never hear him moan about the cost. Going back several years ago, our only household income was just my works pension, but did I bleat about the cost of being a 'Gold' member? No I bl**dy well didn't. There are people on here who happily pay out a small fortune on a single item of militaria... and yet they can't find enough cash to pay an annual membership fee. I find it shameful to be honest.

Anyway... what has any of this got to do with the original question.?

?

I have been reading this thread for a few days now and I can see the point of view from both sides if not all views on this. When I first joined I didn't use the correct terminology and the moderators kindly and politely pointed out the need to use the correct German Terminology. I have done this ever since and have even brought a couple of books to help me with this as well as for a little research.

As someone new to the forum and the hobby in general I find that using the correct terminology is a great place to start to learn and understand the award. I also think (and this is only my view and opinion) that it shows respect for the award when talking about medals etc. After all we are talking about awards that where for the German and axis forces for service and courage at that time. Now that these awards have become collectors passions over the years should we really forget the original title's I ask myself.

I personally DO NOT think we should, after all if I were a German collector of British Medals I would not think it correct to call the British award the Distinguished Service Order the Ausgezeichneter Serviceauftrag, hope I translated and spelt that correctly and please forgive me if not.

However my point of view (and again it is only my point of view) is that as a collector of these Imperial & Third Reich awards I should respect them and learn all there is to learn about them and for me this starts with their correct and given name.

If the forum does decide to give members the freedom to choose posting non German terminology titles for awards and it helps members to do so then personnaly I have no problem. I will continue the way I am and still enjoy this great community of collectors only to happy to help others.

Long live the forum which ever way it turns on this.
    Wilko

This really is only my view to add to the discussion.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Choice is fair!
    I still stand by "Choice Is Fair!" bottom line from me.

Although I do agree with Rene's sentiment; at this point in the hobby I do not have much interest in German medals so my opinion on the matter is inconsequential. Regarding the financial realities of running such a forum, I will however agree with the above point that people who do not contribute to the forum financially should NOT have a say in how it is run. I am certainly an unprosperous family man who of recently does not have much left for new acquisitions. However, I always have enough for my paltry yearly fee here. Maybe I am spruiking my Western privilege; but I have certainly spent more on a pub lunch than the modest fee demanded here.

I am a pretty low poster here (as my expertise is non-existent mainly) but when I first joined, and first posted I did so hastily and didn't read the rules regarding German titles.

Anyway fast forward to now - it can be a hassle to type the titles in German but as someone who is trying to actually learn the language (prior to collecting), I quite enjoy having to translate the titles and get excited when I do so correctly.

Besides that - I think that if you contribute financially to the forum, then you should get a say on a major rule. I don't contribute presently for various reasons I won't go into, and I would accept I have no say in the matter upon voting.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast