Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Medaille für den Italiensch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika

Article about: Hi everyone, I found this medal quite unusual with some strange artwork and I bought it, I read that there are bronze and silver versions, think this is silver by the look of it, but it's go

Default Medaille für den Italiensch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika

Hi everyone, I found this medal quite unusual with some strange artwork and I bought it, I read that there are bronze and silver versions, think this is silver by the look of it, but it's gone a bit green and dirty. The ribbon again looks far too well preserved to my rookie eye but not sure about the medal?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medaille für den Italiensch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika   Medaille für den Italiensch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika  

Medaille für den Italiensch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika   Medaille für den Italiensch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika  

Medaille für den Italiensch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika   Medaille für den Italiensch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medaille für den Italiensch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Medaille für den Italiensch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika

I'm fairly sure the medal was only produced in the bronze colour. I'm not aware of any silver versions or any reason why two grades were needed.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi Adrian,

I read in Christopher Ailsby "German World War Two Medals and Political Awards and The Satellite States" about this, on page 114/115 it has two categories of the award in bronze and silver. Do you know of this author and is he reliable? There are pictures too but they are in black and white so it's not obvious which is which. It says the bronze measures 30.5mm and the silver 31.5mm.

It also says the bronze is 2mm thick and the silver 2.5mm.

Ailsby pp115/116:

This award was initially produced in bronze, later in grey alloy war metal, which was bronze plated, and finally in a war metal which was silver plated. Above the crocodile's left foot is found the manufacturer's name in the bronze form and above the right foot in the silver form. This is the normal rule, but the manufacturer's name can be found above either the right or left leg of the bronze and bronze plated forms.

The height of the arch on the bronze version is 21mm and the silver is 23mm.

Just read this, not sure if anyone else knows this book, was published in 2002. Not very chunky, quite thin!

?

Christopher Ailsby's works are not the books you need to read to learn about authentic TR militaria. They are seriously flawed, out of date and contain many factual errors. His claims are not backed up by fact and it has been suggested in certain areas that he published false information in order to benefit sales of fake awards which in turn he did well from.

If you are in doubt, find a genuine example of a silver award and post it here. I don't mean a worn bronze but a real silver grade.

Thanks for the advice, he sounds like a shady character!

?

Yes indeedy!

I found a silver version of this medal for sale on Hiscoll by Mario, it won't let me post the pictures but here is the web address if anyone gets a minute to have a quick look:

http://www.hiscoll.com/viewphoto.php?shoph=19827&phqu=4

?

I suggest this is a zinc medal with the bronze finish absorbed/worn off over time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast