Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Medaille fur den Italienisch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika

Article about: I just picked up this Italy/Germany cooperation in North Africa medal. My heritage is Italian... and I find items like this very fascinating. I'm looking to expand on it with other Italo-Ger

Default Medaille fur den Italienisch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika

I just picked up this Italy/Germany cooperation in North Africa medal. My heritage is Italian... and I find items like this very fascinating. I'm looking to expand on it with other Italo-German "friendship" items.

I picked this medal up from Bill and Patrick Shea at The Ruptured Duck for a great price. I must admit, it's smaller than I thought it would be!

What does everyone think?

Medaille fur den Italienisch-Deutschen Feldzug in AfrikaMedaille fur den Italienisch-Deutschen Feldzug in AfrikaMedaille fur den Italienisch-Deutschen Feldzug in AfrikaMedaille fur den Italienisch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medaille fur den Italienisch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika
    P
    Many

Default Re: Medaille fur den Italienisch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika

Hi, What are the measurements?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I'm at work right now and do not have the medal infront of me... However, I looked up the dimensions online and drew up a little sketch using those dimensions. If I remember correctly, my medal matches... If anything, the ribbon on mine was shortened to about half of what it's supposed to be.

Here are the dimensions I found online: Medal: 32mm (~1.25in) in diameter. Ribbon: 26mm (1in) wide, 11cm (4.25in)long.

No additional comments? Does my new medal look good to all you guys out there?

?

Looks OK. Not cheap Bill Shea. Should be a bronze finish, although some say there is a silver type. Also comes with the artists name marked on the crocodile side.
    Pete

Quote by wood View Post
    Looks OK. Not cheap Bill Shea. Should be a bronze finish, although some say there is a silver type. Also comes with the artists name marked on the crocodile side.
    Pete
    Hi Pete, I checked around and the Ruptured Duck was the cheapest source I could find on this medal and the two Italian SS items I picked up. In fact, I spoke with Patrick Shea on the phone for about 20mins and he was great to deal with! There may be a cheaper source out there, but I didn't find it, and I am pleased with my decision to do business w the Shea family.

My quick research on this medal tells me that the early versions of this medal were solid bronze, but wartime shortages led to using a different type of metal with only a bronze finish. I'm assuming that the bronze finish on mine has been lost to the test of time. In my picture you can see the artists name just above the left leg of the 'croc. It says "LORIOLI MILANO"... it's TINY!

Thanks for taking a look!

EDIT: The dimensions of the medal and ribbon found here seem to match up EXACTLY to my medal (Medal: 31mm in diameter, Ribbon: 6mm in width, 18mm in length): Axis Allies and Foreign Legions

?

It's a zinc badge and the finish has been lost to time, hence the non bronze look to it.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Hello

Very nice medal ! Look forward too seeing more items from this collecting area ...

Kind regards
    Alex

?

Just for interest, here is a photo of the medal being worn.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medaille fur den Italienisch-Deutschen Feldzug in Afrika  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I have a slightly less beat up example for comparison. The shiny spots are vaseline to counter some zinc-pest.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Just for interest, here is a photo of the medal being worn.
    Very cool! Both EK2 and Italo-German N. Africa medal in wear! I've heard mixed results... is it true that only Germans could wear this award, or was it awarded to both Germans AND Italians?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    I have a slightly less beat up example for comparison. The shiny spots are vaseline to counter some zinc-pest.

Thanks, Glenn!

What makes the finish disappear on medals like ours? Is it a matter of being beat up/ wear and tear, or is it just that the finish doesn't bond with zinc very well and being exposed to a specific set of conditions takes the finish right off?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast