Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" (Ostmedaille)

Article about: Nice medals. I never knew this, but my Ailsby (I know, his stuff isn't the best) book informed me today that these were for not just people who served on the Eastern Front, but you had to be

Default Criteria for the Winter Campaign medal

Nice medals. I never knew this, but my Ailsby (I know, his stuff isn't the best) book informed me today that these were for not just people who served on the Eastern Front, but you had to be wounded in that theater too. From World War II German Medals and Political Awards:

Those entitled to wear the award (Ostfront Medal) were:

-Military personnel and civilians, to include female personnel who were in the service of the armed forces.
    -Administration personnel.
    -Personnel killed or listed as missing in action.
    -Foreign volunteers serving in the Wehrmacht provided that the award was recommended by a divisional commander or more senior officer.
    -Civilians working in factories in the aforementioned region.

The criteria for the award were:

-To have been engaged in combat in the theater of operations for two weeks.
    -60 days to have been spent continuously in the combat theater of operations.
    -To have been wounded (I did not know this was a criterion) in that combat zone.
    -For being frostbitten (for which a wound badge was also awarded). (Ailsby's parenthesis on that last criterion)

For Luftwaffe Personnel the criterion was 30 days to be spent over enemy territory. It was presented in a paper packet which was either brick red, blue or buff, with the name printed on the front.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" (Ostmedaille)
    P
    Many

Quote by JamesWatson View Post
    Nice medals. I never knew this, but my Ailsby (I know, his stuff isn't the best) book informed me today that these were for not just people who served on the Eastern Front, but you had to be wounded in that theater too. From World War II German Medals and Political Awards:

Those entitled to wear the award (Ostfront Medal) were:

-Military personnel and civilians, to include female personnel who were in the service of the armed forces.
    -Administration personnel.
    -Personnel killed or listed as missing in action.
    -Foreign volunteers serving in the Wehrmacht provided that the award was recommended by a divisional commander or more senior officer.
    -Civilians working in factories in the aforementioned region.

The criteria for the award were:

-To have been engaged in combat in the theater of operations for two weeks.
    -60 days to have been spent continuously in the combat theater of operations.
    -To have been wounded (I did not know this was a criterion) in that combat zone.
    -For being frostbitten (for which a wound badge was also awarded). (Ailsby's parenthesis on that last criterion)

For Luftwaffe Personnel the criterion was 30 days to be spent over enemy territory. It was presented in a paper packet which was either brick red, blue or buff, with the name printed on the front.
    I personally don't believe you had to fulfill all the criteria above.
    One of them would be enough.

Quote by Chris76 View Post
    I personally don't believe you had to fulfill all the criteria above.
    One of them would be enough.
    I think you're right!

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    Here's an Ost doc variant worth looking out for. I know this is an Ost medal thread but this is quite a nice variant doc, part of one of my groups. Stewy
    Wow, I know the Luftwaffe served on the Eastern Front but thats a first for me Stewy!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Wow, I know the Luftwaffe served on the Eastern Front but thats a first for me Stewy!

Nick
    Cheers Nick & a happy new year mate. This type of Ost doc I have seen before & to the same regiment (My mate has one very similar, just a different unit). They're hard to find though. Mine's part of a MOT group. Stewy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3