Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" - Spanish made variant

Article about: Hi, I recently acquired this rare Spanish made variant which only about 2000 would have been made. It is obvious that the quality is not the same as the German made. If someone has more info

Default Re: Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" - Spanish made variant

Quote by Asp View Post
    Jonas,
    The medal looks very suspicious. If see on places without paint, there seems light-coloured metal, that is uncharacteristic for ordinary medals. Is medal magnetic?
    Attachment 531276
    Besides it, would be interesting to estimate hardness of black painted surface. Seems that it is soft particulary on obverse.
    Regards,
    Alex
    Yes, it looks suspicious :-)
    It is not magnetic, possibly aluminum. It is coated with a thin black semi-glossy color and it has not been repainted. Does anyone have experience from Spanish made EK2? I have looked at some images of Spanish made EK2 which also show some resemblance in color.

/Jonas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" - Spanish made variant
    P
    Many

?

We could do with seeing a genuine Spanish Ostmedaille. Then we could compare the details and see if there are slight design features which differ.

Spanish EKs are quite distiguishable from their German made counterparts and I wonder if the same applies to the Ostmedaille or if Spaniards were awarded the same medal as the Germans?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Here's a couple of pic's of genuine post war Spanish made awards dating from the 1950's-60's that were produced for Spanish volunteers/Blue division veterans to purchase. There appears to be two eastern front medals, the German awarded one, and the other Spanish one. I believe the one shown at the start of this thread is one of these later types.

Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" - Spanish made variantMedaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" - Spanish made variant
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Here's a couple of pic's of genuine post war Spanish made awards dating from the 1950's-60's that were produced for Spanish volunteers/Blue division veterans to purchase. There appears to be two eastern front medals, the German awarded one, and the other Spanish one. I believe the one shown at the start of this thread is one of these later types.

Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" - Spanish made variantMedaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" - Spanish made variant
    Thanks for images Ned. Seems that my piece looks very much alike the one on these images, both in construction and paint.

/Jonas

?

Whatever it is - it 'aint pretty.............!

Hello,

whether it is contemporary or postwar made ​​products could be resolved up to now not yet.
    Excuse the bad photo I have at the moment only my mobile phone at hand.Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" - Spanish made variant

I note the ribbon in your example Steiner has a white thread down both sides which spunkmaja's example does not have.

?

In my opinion, the ribbon on the example Ned posted looks like German wartime manufacture - or at least what I have come to know as being original TR period. The examples from Jonas and Steinar look post war made.
    Or, possibly Spanish made. I don't know what the edges of Spanish ribbon looks like so is purely conjecture on my part.

Agreed, I have 2 such awards and they do not exhibit the white thread down the sides.

Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" - Spanish made variant

In my book that is not white. It looks like yellow, yellow = maybe spain. But I think as long as is not yet proven that there are original from the period before 45, one can only speculate further.
    However, I would keep such a piece.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast