Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My Verwundabzeichen in Gold '30' mit etui.

Article about: Hi Guys, After reading a couple of interesting threads on cased wound badges recently my interest was piqued and I decided, if possible, to purchase a nice one at a reasonable price. I was l

Default Re: My Verwundabzeichen in Gold '30' mit etui.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Does the felt case inner lift out of the case Ned? Sometimes the original glue has become so brittle over time the inner liner can be easily lifted. If so (and please don't do this if the liner is still snug) there may be an alpha-numeric code embossed to the underneath of the liner. There has been some research on the WAF at one time to identify the awards that correspond to each code.
    Hi Glenn,

Funnily enough the cardboard cushion is no longer glued in and does come out. there are two number codes, both the same, on either side of the cut out pin groove. They both read '620.KB.' or '629.KB' It's hard to say as the stamp is very light, I've just got a loupe to look at these as originally I couldn't be sure. I would be very intersted if you can find something out either way it goes on this!

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 06-26-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Verwundabzeichen in Gold '30' mit etui.
    P
    Many

Hi Ned,

Your code seemed familar to me so i've just poked around with one of my cased awards that I know has a loose inner and lo and behold it is a match! Unfortunately the case is for an EK1 and has the white felt. When I get time I'll try to find the WAF thread as I recall it wasn't a 100% fact that a certain code relates to a certain award but there were enough examples to gain some stats that gave reasonable probabilities as to the code/award relationships.

Hi Glenn,

I've just looked at it closely with a magnifier, it actually appears to read 620.KB. or 629.KB., It could possibly be an '8'!! but I can't be 100% sure. The '1' that I thought it was at first has what looks like a 'tail' facing left on the top and bottom. Does this make sense??
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

i'm not sure what it sounds like they were doing over there re: these codes is valid.

i haven't read it myself, so i could be wrong here about their methodology. but it is, from a statistical perspective, pretty much impossible for me to see how any relationship can be established between numbers like this and the badges inside the cases.

i'm not saying the notion doesn't make sense. the problem is, as is the case in any "experiment", you have to control for all the variables which could explain the issue being studied besides the possible "cause" or assumed relationship you are trying to verify.

in this case, you have to control for the possibility that the numbers relate to an incredible array of possible meanings such as the supplier, or some kind of control number so that quality problems can be traced back etc. in my way of thinking, you can find a certain badge in a box more often than not with a certain number on the bottom of that thing, but you can't control for the other possible meanings.

scientifically, the causal relationship can not be established by looking at examples and counting as it sounds they have done.

maybe there's more to it if i got a chance to see that thread.

- - Updated - -

i do see that box as both original and belonging to a Hauptmunzamt GWB though.

still, it is nice to see all these great pictures.

Any chance of a photo of the code on your inner liner Ned?

FWIW, my EK1 spange case has a 622KB code.

i'm trying to pull that thing up on my awards cases to see how mine match with yours and i can't find a case where it's loose. they are all tight and glued down.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I've been trying to take a photo of it but they're not turning out as legible, even at an angle so that the light may catch it, it's just too weak a stamp on the last numerals. It is not like the '1' on the case you showed Glenn, it's more 'rounded' for want of a better discrpition. I may try to lightly trace over it with some tracing paper and a soft pencil, a bit like brass rubbing, to see if there is a tangible result. What do you think?

Regards, Ned.

Gotta be worth a try!

Also heres the linky thing to the WAF thread I had in my mind. codes in cases question - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums It wasn't so much a statistical exercise as it was more of a collection of observations. I did note that gold and silver wound badges did exhibit the '629.KB' so i'm comfortable you've got an original award/case combo there Ned.

it is a very nice badge. very nice.

thanks for the link, Glenn66!

Quote by big ned View Post
    If you think this is blingy, you should see my Zimmermann Infanterie Sturmabzeichen!!
    Yes, I think we SHOULD see it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast