Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Narvik shield

Article about: I have a gut feeling this one is an original at least by the patinated looks of it. Please can anyone verify my thoughts. According to the seller it used to be part of the John Spiltstead co

Such minor differences in the lettering. Really hard comparing the two.
    Good work by the way Brian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Narvik shield
    P
    Many

Thank you David. Yes minor differences it gets me thinking. I'm still optimistic. It was your good idea to look through John s archival photos though. Best regards.

Brian

JAN.....I have been to NARVIK and it was well worth the visit.

Narvik shield

While teaching economics at Stanford University in the 1960's, Professor Lorie Tarshis would invariably start his first introductory lecture with.......(paraphrased).........

Money is an act of FAITH, be it the piece of paper in your wallet, the coin in your pocket, the bar of gold under your mattress, or the glittering rock on someone's finger.

Not only is the lack of documentation a problem, this piece is just far too easy to FAKE. Even the superimposition of photos would not resolve this dilemma. However, I agree with bsiwula1 's gut feeling and would use his terminology to call this one...

...................HOLY NARVIK..................

I am unlike other members as I do not collect war relics. If I happen to purchase a war related item for my Swedish relative NIKLAS, I research it to the maximum to not only explain it, but to also give him English and history lessons. I would buy your NARVIK myself, if so offered. I advise you not to ask the seller to disturb the back plate for photos. Do not disturb the ageing seen in the plate holes where the prongs attach. Others who talk of so many metals are discussing whether angels have sex, as is said in Italian. As an act of faith, I also believe the ageing on the obverse to be REAL, not meant to deceive.....OLDTHING Doug

bsiwula1......my compliments on the photo quality analogy to the Shroud of Turin which I have also seen. I appreciate a good turn of the word.

JAN.....as an afterthought, I feel this is gilded zinc for the Navy.

Well said, says he who always seems hard pressed to find the right words.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

I just saw this thread...I know very little of these awards only having run a few by Ned and others offline.

That said. I do know Nicola and would trust what he says is grounded in fact. He is an top notch collector who focuses on quality and definitely does his homework/research
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Any discussion of images is problematic. Besides lighting and other factors, a valid juxtaposition of the images discussed requires a common point of origin for the X-Y-Z axis. Trusting that Z is even perpendicular to X and Y is an act of FAITH. With that in mind, please take the comments that follow with a grain of salt....Doug

I appreciate REAL STEEL 's separate discussion and sharing of his own experiences with NARVIK SHIELD/SCHILD.

Narvik shieldNarvik shieldNarvik shield

..........HOLY NARVIK............................................ ...INKA 11-13-2015.............................................. ......REAL STEEL #2........................

HOLY NARVIK.......The Edelweiss detail is a bold strike. Likewise, the fouled rope knotted at the ring. In a crude comparison I printed out a paper copy and penciled a line along the nearest anchor shaft. The relationship between the center bore of the propeller to the axis of the anchor appears NOT to be tangent. It appears to stand off.

INKA 11-13-2015.......Different manufacturer identified by BIG NED as Type 1.2...attributed to Deumer. The anchor shaft axis appears to slice through the propeller bore.

REAL STEEL #2........Detailing not crisp. Propeller bore appears to be TANGENT to anchor indicating another THIRD manufacturer. Thanks for sharing....Doug

JAN.......I have enjoyed your original post......Thanks,Doug

MAP
    ?

This is a good one. Showed it to Ned who gave it the thumbs up. Unfortunately the deal on this one didn't go through.

It think it was a Type 1 Deumer.

Narvik shield

Narvik shield

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP.......Thank you for such a confirmation with a decent X-Y-Z.

Narvik shield

.......PERHAPS DEUMIER.....................

The crude pencil line method confirms that the anchor shank axis cuts a chord through the propeller bore.....Doug.
    Last edited by stakeside; 10-22-2017 at 01:14 AM.

MAP
    ?

Yes. It is a type 1 Deumer according to Ned.

Sadly the deal didn't work out. But I'm looking at another soon...

Although I am lost as to what you mean by cuts a chord through the propeller bore.....

MAP......I apologize for the fancy six-bit word CHORD. Print-outs of all four examples were made, and I drew a pencil line along the length of the shaft adjacent to the bore. Just like the INKA 11-13-2015, the anchor shaft pencil line slices through the bore of the propeller. The edge of the bore extends into the anchor shaft instead of being TANGENT. Thanks for sharing your image....Doug

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast