Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need opinions on "B&N L" Bandenkampfabzeichen...

Article about: Hi all. I'd like to get some opinions on this solid back B&N APB that I recently picked up for a good price (based on poor photos and the assumption that it's a repro). I own three of th

?

Default Need opinions on "B&N L" Bandenkampfabzeichen...

Hi all.

I'd like to get some opinions on this solid back B&N APB that I recently picked up for a good price (based on poor photos and the assumption that it's a repro). I own three of these badges, but they're all hollow back Junckers so I'm not well versed with this maker, or the solid versions. It is heavier than my Juncker badges, but then I would expect more weight with it being solid versus hollow. Most of the wash has since worn away, but there is more than enough remaining to tell that it was once gold. It appears to be zinc, which would explain the wash being 90% gone. On the reverse, the "B&N L" stamp has been double-struck, which is unusual but certainly not unheard of, and a bit sloppy if trying to pass as a knock-off.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Dzyner
    Last edited by Adrian; 02-07-2015 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need opinions on "B&N L" Bandenkampfabzeichen...
    P
    Many

Unfortunately the piece is a post war Souval badge with a spurious maker's mark added.

cheers

Matt

I believe the biggest 'tell' on these is the
    cut-out catch.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. I have to admit, this one had me a bit excited, but then again I did buy it assuming it to be a reproduction as noted. I've started collecting a few good reproductions to have around for comparison and study, and this is a good one to have in my opinion. To the untrained eye this could be easily mistaken as a good one.

Was there a time period post war when Souval produced these? I'd like to get an idea of the time period when this would have been manufactured.

Can only agree with the guys. A post war Souval APB with a fake maker mark to push the value. Not sure with the time frame....?

Rudolf S. strikes again.

?

The untrained eye should never look at one of these badges. These are desirable and expensive and highly faked and no-one should be thinking of purchasing without even a small amount of knowledge.
    The catch on the back is enough in this case to mark it as a Souval fake as already stated by the esteemed collectors above but this catch is arguably the most recognisable identifying feature of post war Souval production. Without the catch it will be easy to fool collectors if they don't know the finer details of this award and what to look for.

One of the first things to do would be to find out if B&NL actually made this award.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Here's another the same. The very popular gold version that crops up on forums almost weekly where someone who has got bit without realising it until they post for appraisals, and suddenly gets the news no collector likes to hear......

TBH, the Souval flat back is probably the easiest fake BKA to spot, yet it parts the unwary from their cash on an alarmingly regular basis, such is the fate of those who don't do their homework. Fortunately there is a BKA reference book by noted expert Antonio Scapini due out for publication this year, and I shall be ordering a copy then.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.