Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some opinions on two Flugzeugführerabzeichen...

Article about: by Stewy S Hi Ade,you see this sort of "shrinkage" on SHuCo '41 ISA's & some other zinc awards. It's something that can happen to molten zinc when it cools. Stewy Interesting.

?

Default Need some opinions on two Flugzeugführerabzeichen...

Hi all,

I received these photos from the nephew of a WWII vet. He has several other items that all check out as authentic, but I never purchase badges without running them by the forum first, especially Pilot badges. What do you think?...

Thanks!
    Dzyner

I collect WW2 German Medals.
    Last edited by Adrian; 10-02-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need some opinions on two Flugzeugführerabzeichen...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need some opinions on two Pilot Badges...

Both Very Bad copies...IMO William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Poor fakes indeed,sorry. Stewy

I dont know much about these awards but even I can see these are poor

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

As stated above, not a pilot badge expert but these are clearly not right, sorry. You made the correct decision to post them and get them checked, well done!

Regards,

Carl

?

Default Re: Need some opinions on two Flugzeugführerabzeichen...

I will respectfully disagree with my fellow collectors on one count here, the badge on the right with the missing catch is an original badge thought to be by Friedrich Linden. It looks like a tombak badge which are less easy to find than the zinc version. These badges are very much at the lower end of desirability but still a nice design IMO. If you can get a good price for this badge alone, taking into consideration the catch is missing then I would go for it.
    The badge on the left is indeed a fake.

Take a look here and here for some further references. Note the reverse hardware.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Thank you Adrian, that is indeed a very interesting link. The issue regarding the hand finishing of badges could go on forever it seems but having read through those posts, I can now see why you believe the above item to actually be a genuine example. As you stated, the hardware on the reverse is very similar. For Dzyner's sake, I for one am glad that you noticed our error in judgement. Hopefully the original badge can be acquired for a fair price.

Regards,

Carl

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I will respectfully disagree with my fellow collectors on one count here, the badge on the right with the missing catch is an original badge thought to be by Friedrich Linden. It looks like a tombak badge which are less easy to find than the zinc version. These badges are very much at the lower end of desirability but still a nice design IMO. If you can get a good price for this badge alone, taking into consideration the catch is missing then I would go for it.
    The badge on the left is indeed a fake.

Take a look here and here for some further references. Note the reverse hardware.
    Good call Ade,i see what you're on about. I was thinking the reverse was pitted, but it looks more like "shrinkage" to the wreath that appears on certain zinc awards. I'd still like a better obverse pic of said badge though. Stewy

?

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    Good call Ade,i see what you're on about. I was thinking the reverse was pitted, but it looks more like "shrinkage" to the wreath that appears on certain zinc awards. I'd still like a better obverse pic of said badge though. Stewy
    Definitely not the 'classic' pitting that we see on poorly cast badges as on the other example posted above. My guess was that the unusual finish on the reverse wreath was due to some manufacturing process not being quite right.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Definitely not the 'classic' pitting that we see on poorly cast badges as on the other example posted above. My guess was that the unusual finish on the reverse wreath was due to some manufacturing process not being quite right.
    Hi Ade,you see this sort of "shrinkage" on SHuCo '41 ISA's & some other zinc awards. It's something that can happen to molten zinc when it cools. Stewy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast