Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on Flugzeugführerabzeichen.

Article about:

?

Default Opinions on Flugzeugführerabzeichen.

Last edited by Adrian; 02-04-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on Flugzeugführerabzeichen.
    P
    Many

?

The Round Wreath Flugzeugführerabzeichen.

These badges are the ones that divide opinion. Some say post war, some say wartime. Indeed, Tom Durante has put together some compelling evidence that the round wreath Flugzeugführerabzeichen were produced during the war.

These, if original are exceedingly rare as there is no evidence of them being produced during the war, no photographic evidence, no veteran accounts of these badges being in existence. Basically, nothing is known about them.

They do pose some interesting questions though:

Why is the wreath round?
    Why would TR production churn out a round wreath for a badge already in production?
    Who were these badges intended for if original?
    If fake, why did the fakers just not produce a regular Flugzeugführerabzeichen, why make a round wreath and invent a badge no-one had ever seen or knew existed?

These are just a few of many questions but for the record, the badge in this thread does not resemble those that are studied as being potentially original and is a fake piece.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I agree a fake,Iwas once told that they were made for the lady pilots like Hanna Rietch.

?

There is a lot of speculation about them being badges for female pilots but why design a badge just for women when perfectly acceptable regular pilots badges were available?
    The ladies would have to fulfil the same criteria as their male counterparts so would be eligible for a normal qualification award.

Here are some pics of Hanna Reitsch wearing her Flugzeugführerabzeichen which you can see has the oval wreath:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on Flugzeugführerabzeichen.  
    Attached Images Attached Images Opinions on Flugzeugführerabzeichen. 

These round wreath Pilot badges have never, to my knowledge, been seen in Any period photos and as far as I'm concerned are a poor post-war fantasy item. Not only did they never exist as far as I've ever been able to tell, but they are Crudely made to boot. Look how the reverse side of the wreath is dished out-it looks Nothing like any Pilot badges ever did-even the extreme late war issues. The eagle actually Does look like a Chicken-look at it's head. I would not have this in my collection.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I've seen a photo of a round wreath version in wear
    here on the Forum - can't remember where
    tho.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Not this one Steve?

Or perhaps another photo of Reitsch with the same badge?

If so, this isn't a round wreath pilots badge but a brooch type jewellery decoration.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on Flugzeugführerabzeichen.  

No, it was being worn by an officer, I think. The thread may
    have been about foreign badges, or TR badges to foreign
    soldiers - which made me wonder if this was why they
    are different. I should have copied it.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Interesting thread and badge.

I have also no special knowing of this kind of pilot badge. But i like the production quality in parts. The set-up (hinge,catch,pin) is looking good. Also the rivetting is well made.

Also to see marks on the eagle of hand finishing.