Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse in Silber -

Article about: by Adrian The speckling wouldn't put me off as long as it's not pitting. Quite a few zinc awards have unusual spots, stripes, smudges etc. On their own, not a huge issue unless you find othe

Default Re: Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse in Silber -

Quote by Adrian View Post
    The speckling wouldn't put me off as long as it's not pitting. Quite a few zinc awards have unusual spots, stripes, smudges etc. On their own, not a huge issue unless you find other things wrong with the piece in question.

I agree with Ade that it's original.
    Could be the onset of Zinc Pest, vaseline works a treat !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse in Silber -
    P
    Many

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Could be the onset of Zinc Pest, vaseline works a treat !
    It is not zinc pest. The bubbling or "speckling" of the medal is a reaction the finish had to the base metal (zink) and is actually a good sign to look for when determining an authentic medal, which it is.

William Kramer

Good stuff

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Officially sanctioned post war medals made for veterans to wear, would follow the same criteria as war time minus the swastika. In the case of the Ostvolkmedaille, I am not sure that they would be made post war, or any different.
    Ralph.
    Apparently they were made post war as part of the 1957 award range, by such esteemed makers like St u L, they were on offer alongside there re-designed brothers, as the "ostvolkmedaille" (Tapferkeits- und Verdienst Auszeichnung für Ostvölker) was awarded to German personnel in units manned by Russian allies....although not strictly a 57er award as there was no swastika in the original design. Still, as a veteran, if awarded you would want a replacement ! (after chucking yours away just before being taken prisoner by an Ivan) These 57er type Ostvolk medals are cheap to buy and have modern ribbons, the rears to me give them away, they have more of a stepped dished look to them, and of course tend to be flawless in appearance, here are some 57er style medals.......
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse in Silber -   Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse in Silber -  

Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse in Silber -  

The two medals finally arrived....
    The silver is lighter than the bronze, which does not seem to be made of zinc. Were these only made of zinc?

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse in Silber -   Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse in Silber -  

Some more pics...

Tom

Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse in Silber -   Ostvolkmedaille 2er Klasse in Silber -  

Quote by rbminis View Post
    P.S. Nice pair by the way Tom!
    Err, how do you know??.................Oh, you mean the medals!! Thanks Ralph.

Tom

Quote by StuG III View Post
    The two medals finally arrived....
    The silver is lighter than the bronze, which does not seem to be made of zinc. Were these only made of zinc?

Tom
    The silver is clearly zinc and you can see the dull grey base metal well under the finish on the reverse side. The bronze would be heavier; it has swords and is a slightly larger design in general.

William Kramer

Thanks William. It's the bronze one that does not appear to be zinc, but I can't say for sure.

Tom

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3