Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Please help! What are these relics?

Article about: I know they are from WWI-WWII... Are they rare? If I were to pay ten dollars for each lot, would it be worth it?

SS Ring Man
    ?

Default Re: Please help! What are these relics?

Young collectors who have no mentour fall for this stuff thinking thay will never get anything,we all started out buying low end items.Feeling around trying to fiend were we fit in,yes I do agree that it was money not well spent.But he is trying he has the bug and the need to feed it.Stop for a moment and look at this great site with the eyes of someone new just comeing into this hobby,can you must wounder what thay are saying and looking at.Not knowing that must of use have doing this way befor most of theas kids were born or for that matter the parents?So remember when you started out and asked about the stuff you just bought did I pay to much.I just payed $3.100 +15% BP for a KZ inmate uniform,did I pay to much for something for my collection?I do not think so I feel as I got what I payed for a rear historical item that I needed.Our young friend hear i just starting out on his frist steeps in our hobby,lets help them along as best we can.The Best To One And All Darrell

2. # ADS

?

Quote by SS Ring Man View Post
    Young collectors who have no mentour fall for this stuff thinking thay will never get anything,we all started out buying low end items.Feeling around trying to fiend were we fit in,yes I do agree that it was money not well spent.But he is trying he has the bug and the need to feed it.Stop for a moment and look at this great site with the eyes of someone new just comeing into this hobby,can you must wounder what thay are saying and looking at.Not knowing that must of use have doing this way befor most of theas kids were born or for that matter the parents?So remember when you started out and asked about the stuff you just bought did I pay to much.I just payed $3.100 +15% BP for a KZ inmate uniform,did I pay to much for something for my collection?I do not think so I feel as I got what I payed for a rear historical item that I needed.Our young friend hear i just starting out on his frist steeps in our hobby,lets help them along as best we can.The Best To One And All Darrell

Darrell I could not agree more with you!
    When I started collecting I picked up everything that had a waffen amt marking or a swastika stamped on to it!

I remember some of the local collectors who had been collecting for many years, and i thought that I would never get anything like their collections!

But with patience and a lot of work you get what you want in the end, and by time you narrow it down and keep focusing on a few or maybe one collectible.

Like helmets, daggers, uniforms, insignia or whatever you prefer!

Keep up the spirit and and have patience, remember to participate on the forums and your knowledge and experience will grow

And be careful with e-bay and other auction type sites with lot of sharks waiting to rip you off!

Use the e-stand here and on the other forums, most of the stuff there are OK and will mainly be discussed if any doubt!

All the best
    Lars

Lars & Darrell

Offcourse I totaly agree with you guys, that is the reason why I said he better spends his 20 euro on something else. For that price he you can buy a nice woundbadge or eastmedal...

Greetz

Nick VR

?

Quote by Nick VR View Post
    Lars & Darrell

Offcourse I totaly agree with you guys, that is the reason why I said he better spends his 20 euro on something else. For that price he you can buy a nice woundbadge or eastmedal...

Greetz

Nick VR
    Nick I agree with you I rather have one nice medal etc.

As I said when I started collecting I picked up all kind of stuff and some of it were more or less worthless! Today I would not want most of it in my collection but back then it meant something for me!

Also I think many new collectors are thinking in quantity rather than quality I know I did

All the best
    Lars

I agree with you Lars also I recognize myself in you. When I yust started collecting I also bought everything with a swastika on. Ah the rusty medals and bayo's that I had in my collection...

Greetz

Nick VR

I would note especially on other sites there reigns a pretty nasty attitude towards outsiders, beginners, and those in search of something with little background.

I think we who have been around for awhile have an obligation to help others, if we are serious about this regalia and are something other than accumulators or fetishists. The others sites have a lot of those people, who can imagine themselves to be something grand from behind their computer screen. Actually, they are something much less than grand.

This young person in particular needs our help and we should offer it without stint.

My memories of my beginnings with this in 1966 or so are still pretty intense, so one should follow Kant's categorical imperative. Since this is a European site, I am sure some of you will agree with me.

That is, do something so well that it is a model for emulation by others.

I realize such an idea is alien to the internet and the spirit that seems to operate here, but if one is interested in soldiers and armies, then this idea cannot be so peculiar.

Happy collecting and schoene Gruesse FB Auerbach

SS Ring Man
    ?

You are right to say what we all seem to feel in our harts about this hobby of ours

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    I would note especially on other sites there reigns a pretty nasty attitude towards outsiders, beginners, and those in search of something with little background.
    Hi Friedrich

I also recognise this. When I started collecting six years ago I also endured some hostility from 'advanced' collectors. Most of the time it was when I asked why certain items where fake. Mostly I got the "because person x has been collecting for 7 billion years and when he says fake then it's fake" answer...
    Don't these people get that the 'younger' generation will take over at some day? I can't understand those attitudes when you are on a public 'learning' forum...

Greetz

Nick VR

SS Ring Man
    ?

We oldtimer had it a bit diffrent from most of the younger collectors 1st most of the old bread would not talk to one another,mostly out of fear of seeming like a newbe.We had to learn the hard way,the 2 books I had for a long time were Jack Pia books most info was week and hard to come by.So for anyone to hold all the cards he was a god,and he konw it and used it to his best.So if some of us seem hard it how we saw the world then.Today info is a click away and most a ready to freely give out info,there are some thing to say about old school and there are some that should be lost.The walls are comeing down and thoes who fail to help bring them down are fools.So bear with us a bit we are all not so bad,just bad mannored.

[QUOTE=Nick VR;11476]Hi Friedrich

I also recognise this. When I started collecting six years ago I also endured some hostility from 'advanced' collectors. Most of the time it was when I asked why certain items where fake. Mostly I got the "because person x has been collecting for 7 billion years and when he says fake then it's fake" answer...
    Don't these people get that the 'younger' generation will take over at some day? I can't understand those attitudes when you are on a public 'learning' forum...

Thanks for this. I am very alive to what you write. "Advanced collectors" should never be hostile to anyone. Such is also true for beginning collectors, I think. The internet is not the best means to foster polite exchange about complicated, complex subjects in which there is a lot of gray, as opposed to black and white. I deal with the past as a professional, so I have grappled with these issues at a high level of complexity for a long time. In my posts, I try to be polite and to engage others. Others do not do this, plainly. There are certain long time US collectors whom I know who are very polite and engaging, to say nothing of their willingness to share their really extraordinary collections. There are others who are hostile to anyone who challenges their authority. For myself, I am used to my charges always challenging me, and mine are grown ups with pretty impressive curricula vitaes.

But I have also seen the rise of some real internet frauds, who are more bogus than any fake Nazi stuff. They are internet thugs, really, who use the medium like a weapon. Or they are remarkable poseur, who act as if they were shop foreman at a regalia plant, and can cite chapter and verse from things that even their grand parents had no inkling of, in fact. I think this latter aspect is more infuriating than fat headed old collectors with poor manners.

The point here is one's credibility, whether what you write makes sense in the harsh light of the experience and knowledge of others. In general, I have seen some truly remarkable people in this milieu, but also some real mountebanks and Hochstapler. That is, confidence artists who make lists as if handed to them by the Lord God and then make absolute dictates when the truth is very ambiguous. Yet, when you ask them for the actual primary source to back up this generalization, they then turn on you behind the shield of their screen. Go figure....

I have an above average background in this material, but I am astonished at how much I learn every day and how little I surely know. My colleague d'Alquen burst a misconception of mine yesterday, which is the point of all of this. We seek knowledge and are limited in our capacity to secure it.

I am completely committed to the proposition that those with more knowledge hand it down to those who have less, and often can learn from the latter in important ways. I am also committed to being wrong, and being corrected, too, even in front of the whole, bloody world in Google. Some others, especially in the Lord of the Flies site, are here to show off, to intimidate and make fools of themselves. Or, they are here to pursue a Nazi agenda, which, of course, is the business of other websites in their thousands which would make Goebbels twitter with delight.

I know Adrian Stevenson from afar over about seven or so years, and I know him to be a fine man of excellent principles. I also know Bob Hritz for about the same time, and can well adhere to his rules of engagement.

This site will live or die by whether it organizes itself so a nice young person can pose a question and get a useful answer. Our ambition is for her to be a leader in the future.

This young woman's query is a good test of our willingness to do the right thing.

Happy collecting and my apologies for old farts who reveal themselves to be a horrible bore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2