MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Question - Badge hardware

Article about: I have been wondering how it is that certain hardware can be positively attributed to certain makers. I have been shown period advertisements from manufacturers that only specialized in the

Default Question - Badge hardware

I have been wondering how it is that certain hardware can be positively attributed to certain makers. I have been shown period advertisements from manufacturers that only specialized in the making of hardware for different badges, be it the tinnie, party badge or combat awards. Does it not make sense that the makers of the badges would have bought the hardware for their badges from these people or did each maker manufacture his own hardware as well?
    Reason I ask is that many times you will see a badge that from the front looks like a certain maker, but when viewed from the back it is said that the hardware does not conform to the said maker. Is it not possible that the hardware changed because a different supplier of hardware was now being used?
    Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question - Badge hardware
    P
    Many

Default Re: Question - Badge hardware

Tom
    This badge was taken from a salesmans board from Stiener & Luck, hence the lack of numbering to the rear. It certainly is not a typical S&L configuration, but real non the less
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question - Badge hardware  

Hi John, that is partially my point. because this does not have the hardware normally associated with badges made by S&L does not necessarily a fake make. How can some say with certainty that a badge is probably fake because the hardware is possibly different to what is normally found on said badge?
    Tom

?

I think you have to take each case on it's own merits. You are correct and John has proved that makers used different types of hardware on their badges.
    Some hardware is out and out fake, not found on any period awards whilst other hardware may not conform to what is usually seen from a particular maker but is nonetheless real.
    The hardware should only be used in conjunction with other factors to determine the originality of a badge.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

So disregarding the authenticity of any given badge or award purely based upon the hardware attached is then not really correct, but I see it done all the time? Thanks John & Adrian for your input. Clearly your individual thoughts on this subject are similar to mine.
    Tom

?

It does happen alot Tom. I don't think I've called a badge fake based solely upon the hardware, it's just one factor amongst many.
    Below is a pic of my Juncker Beobachterabzeichen. The pin is clearly not original to the badge but it doesn't make the badge a fake, just a replaced pin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question - Badge hardware   Question - Badge hardware  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I agree. Very nice badge.
    Tom